Munich, Germany, Luthiers?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by kontrabass, Mar 9, 2005.

1. kontrabass

Sep 29, 2004
    Hey all,
    I am planning on attending a music/language program in Munich, Germany over the summer. I have to provide my own instrument and bringing mine from home is not possible. Does anyone know of any luthiers or music shops in or around Munich that would be able to provide a double bass? I have looked at The Gollihur Luthier list and found one or two possibilities, but any other ideas?

P.S. I hope this is in the correct section . . . I couldn't decide between "Basses" and "Setup and Repair."
  2. cabin dweller

cabin dweller Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Ridgeland, WI
    How come its not possible? I would leave my cloths & underwear home instead of leavein' my bass behind...
  3. If you can get up to reutlingen, by Stuttgart, I recommend Tobias Festl- World of Basses. Great Shop! :hyper:
  4. kontrabass

Sep 29, 2004
    I would normally agree with this, but with airfare precautions and international travel, I don't want to take such a risk. This leaves rental as the only option.
  5. I can recommend Tobias as well. Reutlingen is about 2 hours outside of Munich. I can also recommend Poellman, located in beautiful Mittenwald about 1 hour south of Munich. Michael Krahmer has many new and used instruments including a bunch of great 5 strings and several Mittenwald instruments from the 1800's. Both of these guys are terrific. You should call ahead and make an appointment of course.

6. kontrabass

Sep 29, 2004
    Thanks for all the help. Would any of these shops rent basses? I have tried a few but to no luck.

7. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    I live about 20 minutes from Michael Krahmer of Poellmann. He is a GREAT guy and in my humble opinion one of, if not the finest doublebass luthier on the planet. My wife and I just bought a Poellmann Madrid model from him for our son's graduation gift.

I rented a bass from him a couple years ago, and he was very helpful and gracious about it. He is ridiculously busy these days, but if you call ahead for an appointment he will probably make some time for you. His shop is in Mittenwald, which is about an hour and twenty minutes south of Munich. Check out his website at You probably should phone him, I don't think he responds to email much.

Good luck!

Kevin Kelly
  8. Jeeze, I wish i'd had parents like you!
    Oh well, I guess it's too late.....i'm 63.....Ha! :D
  9. foilracer

foilracer Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Well, back to the top of the queue...does any one know of
    any double bass shops within the city walls...?
  10. bassist14

Oct 17, 2005