Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Murderer Buried at Arlington?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mr.Phil, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Ok... http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050804121009990006&ncid=NWS00010000000001 There's the story. I'm curious,is a convicted felon entitled to be buried with full Military Honors? Please refrain from making comments related to the country's current or prior administration as I am not interested in the opinions of radical fringe extremists. The AOL message board has enough comments from hot headed left and right wingers. My question is purely based on the legal aspects of the situation.

2. I'd be interested in knowing what the right-wingers think on this. Conflict of ideologies?

I'm personally not sure what I think of this.

3. Well, I say split the difference. Bury him with full military honors in a septic field.

Randy

4. How is that a problem for right wingers alone?

Mike

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Taking another's life whether it be murder or war, sport or insanity is all the same

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    In a stritly legal sense I am not aware of any law which denies you the right to military honors based on convictions that happened after you left the millitary.

If he was convicted of murder while in the military I am pretty sure he'd have received a dishonorable discharge and not been elligable for burial at arlington.

7. I never said that it was.

8. The only thing that I could infer from this statement is that this situation produces a conflict of right wing ideologies. So my question is, spelled out, why do you think this is a conflict of "right wing" ideologies and if you think other political ideologies may have a conflict, why was only the one singled out? I realize the tone of my questions may seem "hostile", that is not my intent.

Mike

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Why would this be a conflict of Ideologies for right wingers? He served in the Military , honorably, acted dishonorably afterwards, was punished for it and received the burial he earned in the military. Unless theirs something in the rules at arlington about what you do after you leave the military. Actually as a "right winger" ( and if you've ever ventured to TPA- you wouldn't dispute that) I think he should have received capital punishment then been buried at Arlington. :D

10. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    You couldn't be further from the truth. There is both justified and unjustified homicide. If some punk is about to kill your baby daughter, do you let him because "all killing is wrong," or do you kill him first?

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

It's not black and white, right or wrong. It's arguments like your that send young american men and women to war and to death. There are many steps that you can take to protect yourself and your family before killing another. If there is no other option, then yes you might have to take another's life, but it is not the first option and it is not as simple as you state.

12. The "right-wingers" comment I made stemmed from Phil's mention of "left-wingers" and "right-wingers" thoughts on the subject. The traditional US "right-wing" is very pro-military, but very hard on crime. Now that I think about it, the comment didn't make much sense as being pro-military has little to do with the actual issue.

13. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Careful guys, you're going to get this one closed... The topic wasn't meant for a political debate, but for a legal dissussion. Speaking of which, my question has yet to be answered. Am I correct in thinking that convicted felons are denied the right to vote? If so, are they denied other rights? Please stick to the topic, I would really like to know the answer to my question. Also, please refrain from posting "IBTL" its against the rules and it also implies that I am in some type of violation for starting this thread. Now, does anyone know the answer to my original question?

14. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    No, often times it IS as simple as I state. Most times it IS black and white, right or wrong. And it's namby-pamby arguments like yours that allow evil to triumph over good. You can take responsibility for that - I won't.

Funny thing - those young American men and women you seem so concerned about all go voluntarily, and they do so, in part, to protect your right to prattle on.

15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

I would get into an intellectual debate with you, but I am sorry to say that seems WAY beyond your capabilities

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.