1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Murf gets a Cirrus YAAAAAY!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Murf, May 7, 2006.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi Guys an Gals,
    Well, following my last thread/plea on TB for info on where to get a Cirrus 5er in Europe (they're next to impossible to find here) I was contacted by Papersen and Quadzilla who very kindly offered to sell/ship me their Cirrii, I opted for Papersens Cirrus because it was the exact model I was looking for (I'd like to thank Quadzilla for taking the time to PM me unfortunately I had a very specific model in mind at the time, but again thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my query :) )

Anyway I finally got my 5er from Papersen and I have to say he was an absolute pleasure to deal with and went "above and beyond the call of duty" to help me out as regards shipping/payment etc...thank you so much Guillermo..it's dealing with guys like this which restores my faith in humanity ..once again cheers Guillermo you are a legend in my book (and if you ever find yourself in Ireland give me a shout and we'll hook up...I owe you a few pints my friend ;) )

So, The Peavey Cirrus....this baby is absolutely INCREDIBLE, the model I got has..(deep breath)

- Tigereye quilted maple top (versus Flamed Maple)
    - Upgraded 3 band preamp with sweepable mids control (versus standard 3 band Eq)
    - Walnut knobs (versus rubber knobs)
    - Mahogany covers -truss rod, circuit- (versus plastic covers)
    - Ebony fretboard (versus Pau Ferro or Maple)
    - Birdseye maple neck (versus maple)
    - Hipshot ultralite tuners and bridge (versus ABM bridge)
    - Matching headstock (versus graphite headstock).

It is an amazing bass...firstly straight "out of the box" after being shipped from California IT WAS STILL IN TUNE :eek:
    Secondly: Pictures do not do the Cirrus justice it is one of the most beautiful basses I've ever seen and having gigged with it I'm suddenly getting more "gearheads" coming up to me at the end of gig ogling it

One thing no-one has mentioned as regards the Cirrus is how light and perfectly balanced it is...it's a very slimline bass..but my God the tone out of this thing is unbelievable...so far I'm quite happy playing it with all the tone controls centered it cuts like a knife through any gig and has an amzing growl around the low end...Speaking of the Low end the "b" string is as tight as a standard "E" on a 4 stringer and every note up and down the neck has exactly the same volume and punch.

The Cirrus is the quitest bass I've ever played...there is no "hummm" when you set the pups out/in phase (perfect studio bass)...I've played it through numerous rigs and it sounds incredible through all of them only my favourite combination is the Cirrus through an EBS rig...Amazing sound.

One word of warning though..The Cirrus has an EXTREMELY Hot output which some combos cant take..I played it through an EBS rig (sublime), an ancient Carlsboro 15 combo (good but not a patch on the EBS), a 50W Trace Elliot GUITAR amp (still sounded good) and a Gallien Krueger 700RB 2x10 Combo..which promptly blew the tweeter and distorted horrendously with certain frequencies on certain notes (this is with everything set flat, boost at zero and volume at 9 O clock...and this is a so called "pro" backline amp :eyebrow:...I will never buy another GK product again..I've had nothing but trouble with this amp since I bought it ne..but thats another story :rolleyes: )

Bottom Line?..in my opinion the Cirrus sounds like a boutique bass at a third of the price and looks amazing..(to my ears The Cirrus completely destroys the Stingray 5 or Yamaha TRB5 in terms of weight, looks, playability and tone)...do yourself a favour and check one of these babies out..you wont be dissapointed..

(pics to follow :) )

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    congrats! looking forward to pics :) .

3. Yes! This is the first time I get to use this! Sounds like a great bass.

nopics.

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That sounds awesome man.

I almost sold my Cirrus. Then came back to reality.

Great bass!

5. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    HAHAHA :D

I hear ya dude...the pics are on their way..

6. I love Cirri. Mine gets me the exact tone that I want. I love it. Congradulations on you getting one. And remember. WE WANT PICTURES (otherwise, the bass dosen't exist)

7. rok51

rok51 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Congratulations on your Cirrus! Of course we want the pics...
    Kudos to Papersen and Quadzilla for making this happen for Murf!

Kim

8. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    The more basses I play, the more I realize just how much I like my cirrus. They really are great basses.

It makes me sad, because there may be a time in the next couple months that I will be forced to sell it. That will suck.

P.

9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Wow, I didn`t expect to receive such compliments
    (I`m sure my mother-in-law would`t think the same :D )

It`s been a real pleasure to deal with Murf, since he`s a true gentleman and he`s obviously enjoying the bass. I`m really glad everything went Ok.

Now, I gotta find the opportunity to visit Ireland ... :smug:

10. congrats ,you are now one of us(cirrus owners), might I add that the piece you have is a custom shop piece ,and the body, headstock and fretboard is thicker than the stock(production line) cirii once again congrats:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

11. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland

Yes your right..it's a custom shop model and I forgot to mention its also "neck thru" rather than "bolt on"...the sustain is incredible.

WOW! The first thing that struck me was how THIN the body is (then again I'm more used to fender jazzes..great basses as well:) )

I dont do a lot of "pub/bar" gigs anymore I do mostly shows or big "club" gigs where I'm DI'd to the main rig (which is fecking huge) and I'm competing with two guitars, keyboards, and a very hard hitting drummer...The Cirrus is the first bass I've played where every single note (and nuance eg ghost notes) cuts through the mix like a demon..as an old session buddy of mine said "it's the first time I've ever actually heard the notes you were playing, usually I can just hear your low end"...hell the LEAD SINGER turned round to me after my first gig with it and said "thats not a Cirrus bass..that's a SERIOUS bass:eek: )

Anyway I've a few BIG gigs coming up at the weekend so I'm gonna try to get some shots of the beast in action..(but as I said pics dont do it justice).

cheers

Murf

12. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Welcome to the club! I love my Cirrus and I use the same show setup as you - straight into the board and the bass is always heard. You are going to keep falling for that bass :D