1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Murphy's Law gig last night.....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FarkusSWR, Apr 9, 2011.

1. In the space of about 4 hours, the following events occurred:
    1) get my chops busted by the guitarist AND soundguy for. bringing 3 basses to a gig. :)bassist:I really do use them all)
    2)massively fumble during the solo of the second song of the first set.
    3)when putting my Glaub in the rack, it slips out of my sweaty paw and bashes itself against the bridge of my other bass.
    4)start off the second set with some type of battery/preamp issue, requiring a bass switchout that causes me to miss the first minute or so of the first song.
    5)a beer walks itself off the sub cabinet, and grenades all over my footswitches, shorting out the mute switch.

In spite of all this, the place was packed and we had a fun(mostly)gig. Even got an little bump in pay from the owner.
    Hopefully I got about the next 6-12 gigs stupidity out of the way.
    That is all.

2. Any gig you get paid more than you had agreed to is a good gig.

3. Friday night Murphy's law was out in force
    Drummer forgot about the gig he was 1/2 hour away and his drummer were home and set up lucky for me my older brother is a drummer and he lives in the same town of the gig hit his place grabbed his kit and got it set up. Drummer arrived 1/2 hour later than we were supposed to start that was the 1st thing
    2. Broke my E string on the second song in the second set.
    3. Owner got me at the end of the night to tell me since we started 1/2 later that he was going to take money off of our pay. I told him that is only favor and he said I am just screwing with you paid us in full and said I know Sh*t happens no problem the place was packed and he was a happy guy.

4. This is turning into the standup guy bar owner thread....

5. SeaBassSteve

SeaBassSteve

Nov 14, 2008
    UK
    at least 2 of those could have been avoided with some common sense though.
    Such as NEVER leave beer on a cab......

6. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    thought it was a thread about the band :p

7. Wait...are you saying that it's OK for a band member to drink beer during a gig??

:cool:

Z

8. Rthm

Rthm

Dec 7, 2010
    But leaving drinks on your amp is tradition! It's practically mandatory!

9. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Not on my bass amp it aint, and never has been. I have seen far too many drinks walk off. Every drummer I have worked with at some point has been told in no uncertain terms to get that -------- drink off my amp.

10. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    What happened to your bass when it slipped from your hand and hit the bridge of another?
    Any resulting War Wounds? Ouch..

11. It looked worse than what it was....a little nick on the back that mostly polished out.
    As far as the beer goes, I NEVER EVER EVER put drinks on my amp or cab. I think our sound guy got a little happy with the subs, and it just walked right off. Sadly, I had taken one sip.
    So, yes, that one was my fault.:rollno:

12. Not for me. I have had too many drinks vibrate off the amp and spill all over the place. Too messy and does too much damage. The grill cloth on my cabinet has the stains to prove it. :smug:

13. SeaBassSteve

SeaBassSteve

Nov 14, 2008
    UK

QFT.

14. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I served up lots of CLAM chowder last night in my sub gig. They weren't song stoppers, but I hated them just the same.

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I suggest you analyze and eliminate or mitigate the risk factors you did have control over...which is everything except #5, and possibly also includes that one.

But some stuff will happen...so you need to think ahead:

- Really, honestly NEED 3 basses? If so, OK. If not, trim down.
    - Solos can fail. More practice can only help...but if fail occurs, keep going.
    - Check batteries before performance - but a battery can fail anytime.
    - Keep an eye on stuff on the stage. Bad luck on the drink spilling!

16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Three basses? What kind of band is this?

17. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Sounds like you should bring five or six next time.

18. crack-boom

crack-boom

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    Just curious, but for a bottle of beer to walk off your cab, how loud are you guys playing?! I couldn't imagine playing that loud or even close enough to start things vibrating other than the drummers snare haha

19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    oh hell no.

anyway, that fat roll of gaffer's tape (not duct tape :rolleyes:) that you bring with you to every gig? you know, to deal with all the other things murphy has in store for you?

it makes a perfect drink holder, one that will not slide around, and will even keep a full pint glass from tipping over.

20. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    my beer on my amp is never a problem. I even trust my (current) drummer to put his there if he thinks that's where it needs to go. gaff tape is de rigeur. drinks on a sub are not long for this world. boom boom splash...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021