1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Muscle Shoals Documentary

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fhm555, Oct 19, 2013.

1. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Saw this Friday night on the big screen. HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

http://www.magpictures.com/muscleshoals/

Not your typical rehash of everything already written. You get the actual story, honest and unflinching, from those who lived it, and it's loaded with period films, photos, and music.

The number of artists (and hits) that came out of that little backwater is staggering.

2. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Thanks for the info. First time I've heard of the movie, and the place, to be honest.

I'm looking forward to seeing it!

3. Cool, thanks for the tip. I definitely want to watch that.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Thanks. I hope it comes out on DVD too.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I dug the documentary, but I don't think they mentioned Tommy Cogbill once, pretty big oversight.

6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Maybe because Tommy is better known for his work at American Sound Studios with The Memphis Boys?

I've always though of the American Sound, Stax, and Sun guys as being part of the Memphis music mob.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Yeah but, they talk a lot about Aretha's 'I Never Loved A Man' album in the documentary and Cogbill was the bassist on that. Great documentary anyway and I highly recommend it.

8. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I just saw this last night and loved it. I too was surprised by the omission of Tommy Cogbill, but it was still a stellar documentary (with some really beautiful scenic shots of the area). Prior to seeing the film (which is available on iTunes, though it's definitely worth seeing at a theatre if possible) I was aware of certain Muscle Shoals recordings but I think I was (despite a difference in sound/playing) crediting some Muscle Shoals records to the Stax guys. Man, David Hood and Roger Hawkins were (and probably still are) a killer team!

I'd recommend this film to anyone with any real interest in American music.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    One of the directors sits on my company's board so we found out about it through our company's intranet.

Unfortunately, I still haven't had the chance to see it... yet.

10. bklynbass

bklynbass

Jan 10, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Up until 1968 Tommy played on a huge portion of the Fame output, particularly recordings made for Atlantic. After that he had an exclusive contract with American Sound Studios as a player and producer.

11. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Just noticed this is on netflix now. Haven't had a chance to watch it but figured I'd let you guys know.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Of course this happens about a week after I buy it on iTunes... either way, it's a great documentary! Highly recommended to any musician or music fan.

13. Resurrecting this thread because I finally got around to watching this movie. Five stars - no kidding - really well done film. Made me want to re-listen to lots of old records, and discover some new stuff too.

14. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Just bought it. Thanks, Jim, I missed this thread the first time around.

15. Watched it tonight. Very well done Doc. Would have missed it if I hadn't heard about
    it here.