1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Muse are Overrated.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Luke.Walton, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Am I the only one who thinks this?
    For what they are, Muse are hugely overrated. There is nothing special about them, yet for some reason they seem to be the band can do no wrong at the moment.

And another thing, why is there all this hype about their new album containing slap bass? Congratulations, you played a different style of bass for a couple of songs, lets release a press statement about how this "new style" is "uncool".

When did slap become uncool? Have Muse never heard of Larry Graham & Bootsy Collins? I'm pretty sure they would of been right at the top of the cool ladder in their heyday, and more recently, Les Claypool, and Flea, oh wait, I forgot that RHCP are uncool.

IMO, and all that :p

/Rant

Luke.

P.S Hope this is in the right section, I figured it was to do with the bassist, but also considered recordings, please let me know if it needs to be moved

2. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    all I know abot muse is a bass intro, dont remember the name, it was an OK line, never heard anything else.

3. are you in league with that guy who started the "geddy lee overrated?" thread to troll these forums with a double fisted pincer movement?

as far as i know the only reason people were freaking out over chris' slap bass was because:
    A. this was the album chris had done slap on
    B. he had such a distinct tone and style that it was infact very different.

4. Lunarfall

Lunarfall

Jul 11, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Muse fan here, and they have done a wrong: the new album is pretty mediocre.

5. bobknowsbass

bobknowsbass

Jul 27, 2009
    Monrovia, CA
    Your parents told you that your opinion matters and you believed them.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Not sure there's any section where a mere rant thread looks good.

7. Apparently, proper sentence structure and flow is overrated too. (Sorry to point it out, it bugged me.)

To answer your question, yes, but to an extent. You can always do new stuff on the bass, but where do you draw the line where it becomes acceptable in a song and where it becomes original for the sake of original? Sure, Chris could have funkified the album a lot more, but that's the point where he doesn't add anything new to album, he would have just been adding original stuff for the sake of newness. Sorry if I retract this statement later or if it doesn't make sense, it's almost 4 a.m. right now for me.

8. I'm not really a muse fan but think most of their songs are pretty good... but the new album got played on my favourite radio station to death already and it was mediocre and boring to me...

one of the listeners wrote in 'I hear if you musetabate too much it falls off' haha, made my day!

and yes, the slap bass comment was just stupid...

ah wells, millions of people will still buy and praise their album *shrug*

9. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    They are competent musicians but their music leaves me cold.
    Never was a fan of melodramatic vocal styles.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

They write good songs, have a signature sound you instantly recognize, use their instruments in innovative ways and rock on stage in epic ways.
    To me it makes them a good band. I don't know how this constitutes a hype, unless of course you consider that every successful band is hyped.
    You rant is the first mention I see of slapped parts in the new album.

11. afromoose

afromoose Guest

Melodramatic and mundane at the same time. Their epicness comes across a bit limp to me..

12. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I was waiting to see more angry fans, but it seems there aren't many.

The new album was a let down IMO, but its still better than the majority of crap out nowadays (it had two or three ok tracks). Which is their niche....actually having talent in a prety much talent less age.

Matts guitar skills alone is a reason they deserve some credit.

13. Pimpfish

Pimpfish

Sep 16, 2009
    New album is a complete let down. Its "another muse album" which a while ago would have been great, and the bassist is trying new things, but its not really going forward sadly.

14. afromoose

afromoose Guest

The industry has to keep digging up the bands that they've already spent all the advertising money on back in the days when they had money. That's why bands like Muse are getting so much press - because they haven't got money to invest and risk on new bands.

15. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    could be worse could be dream theater

16. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    This is an overly provocative post, but as a longtime Muse fan I will add that, in my opinion, the new album is pretty poor. It's dull and 'samey' and nowhere near as good as their older albums.

17. they are making a lot of $$$$ doing what they love to do and you are not!! who sucks now?

18. taygunov

taygunov Guest

May 8, 2008
    I have to agree here. They are nothing special and the bassist is more overrated then Flea.

19. Rawkabilly

Rawkabilly

May 4, 2007
    Central IL
    I haven't heard much of the newest album, but their older stuff is cool. I don't watch MTV or read the hipster music rags, so I don't know anything about the whole "hype" thing.
    They're really tight live.

20. Short answer is no. My intent was never to troll or become a troll.

What is a forum if not a collection of different peoples' opinions?

I suppose the "/rant" thing didn't come across in the way I intended, but that is the nature of the internet.

At least I didn't claim to be an English teacher, hehe :p. That is a good point, but it was the amount of hype over him slapping that had me annoyed.

That could be it, the fact that they are overplayed on radio and tv.

Your first statement is entirely subjective, and I agree with the next three points, but if you read the OP, I never said they weren't a good band. The hype I was talking about was related to his "uncool slapping"

That is a good way to describe them at this point in their career (IMO)

OP doesn't say anything about not having talent, and I didn't say they shouldn't be famous, I just said they are overrated.

Haha, I lol'd

As I previously said, my intention wasn't to troll, I just wanted to see if I was the only person who thought this.

When did I say they suck? Oh and thanks for giving me an evaluation of my life, what do I owe you?

Luke.