Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Muse cover Lighting Bolt (Skronk? **** YOU!)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Against Will, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    From Lots of Noise:
    I'm posting this for several reasons:

1) Providence; it is where it is AT! NOT BOSTON!

2) Skronk does not exist, we are currently proposing legislation that makes it mandatory to pimp-slap any individual caught referring to music as "skronk"

3) :scowl: Muse.

2. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    No idea what you're talking about, other than Muse. And I love Muse.

3. Are you sure it's the same Muse? I wouldn't really call Muse "pop"... 7 minute, Baroque piano-inspired epics like "Space Dementia" and "Bliss" are hardly pop.

4. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Pop's a relative term.

5. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    http://wjb.dmusic.com/

Here's a link, scroll down to "Muse-Dracula Mountain" and click it.

Here is the original:

http://www.loadrecords.com/sound/lightningbolt_draculamountain.mp3

I will preface this that, as a band, I find nothing objectionable about Muse as a band. IMO, they're a perfectly decent rock band (speaking in relativistic terms again) that aren't my thing, but whatever.

That being said, their interpretation of Dracula Mountain is like watching a toothless man trying to gum corn. They do themselves a disservice on this cover, it's another case of an otherwise fine band producing a weak cover. What's so embarrassing is that they turn it into a pop-rock riff. C'mon, you need to put SOME energy into it!

That is all.

6. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Ah, this little ditty. I have a bootleg from a show they played in Dec 2004 at Earl's Court and it's pretty cool. But, overall, I thought it was a weird little ditty.

(edit to add: of course the link you have from above IS the EC show. :hyper: )

7. muse covering lightning bolt?! Geez! That's like Kenny Rogers covering sonic youth.

8. That's like, ultra not cool.

Leave Lightning Bolt alone England!!!

I don't want this to get on the radio and all these annoying teeny people will be like 'OMG I luv litening bolt. I heard they covered a Muse song LOLZ"

:mad: X1000000000

And I like the song Hysteria too... :(

9. I like Muse a lot, I think they produce good music, but this cover is just terrible.

10. "Pop" just means its popular in this case. Muse is getting popular , therefore, they are "pop" . BTW, Grand Funk Railroad was a "pop" band and they wrote a 10 minute epic.......................so i guess they got Muse beat by 3 minutes .

11. This got onto the Lightning Bolt website

Their Site

I brought this to the LB proboards, and I think Dave(the guy who does the site) saw it and added it.

Good to see that I may have informed them about this.