1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Muse cover Lighting Bolt (Skronk? **** YOU!)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Against Will, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    From Lots of Noise:
    I'm posting this for several reasons:

1) Providence; it is where it is AT! NOT BOSTON!

2) Skronk does not exist, we are currently proposing legislation that makes it mandatory to pimp-slap any individual caught referring to music as "skronk"

3) :scowl: Muse.

2. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    No idea what you're talking about, other than Muse. And I love Muse.

3. Are you sure it's the same Muse? I wouldn't really call Muse "pop"... 7 minute, Baroque piano-inspired epics like "Space Dementia" and "Bliss" are hardly pop.

4. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Pop's a relative term.

5. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    http://wjb.dmusic.com/

Here's a link, scroll down to "Muse-Dracula Mountain" and click it.

Here is the original:

http://www.loadrecords.com/sound/lightningbolt_draculamountain.mp3

I will preface this that, as a band, I find nothing objectionable about Muse as a band. IMO, they're a perfectly decent rock band (speaking in relativistic terms again) that aren't my thing, but whatever.

That being said, their interpretation of Dracula Mountain is like watching a toothless man trying to gum corn. They do themselves a disservice on this cover, it's another case of an otherwise fine band producing a weak cover. What's so embarrassing is that they turn it into a pop-rock riff. C'mon, you need to put SOME energy into it!

That is all.

6. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Ah, this little ditty. I have a bootleg from a show they played in Dec 2004 at Earl's Court and it's pretty cool. But, overall, I thought it was a weird little ditty.

(edit to add: of course the link you have from above IS the EC show. :hyper: )

7. muse covering lightning bolt?! Geez! That's like Kenny Rogers covering sonic youth.

8. That's like, ultra not cool.

Leave Lightning Bolt alone England!!!

I don't want this to get on the radio and all these annoying teeny people will be like 'OMG I luv litening bolt. I heard they covered a Muse song LOLZ"

:mad: X1000000000

And I like the song Hysteria too... :(

9. I like Muse a lot, I think they produce good music, but this cover is just terrible.

10. "Pop" just means its popular in this case. Muse is getting popular , therefore, they are "pop" . BTW, Grand Funk Railroad was a "pop" band and they wrote a 10 minute epic.......................so i guess they got Muse beat by 3 minutes .

11. This got onto the Lightning Bolt website

Their Site

I brought this to the LB proboards, and I think Dave(the guy who does the site) saw it and added it.

Good to see that I may have informed them about this.