1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Muse Hysteria Tone out of a Zoom B3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Can it be done? Thanks!

2. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    Yes, I got close but unless you have Chris' set up then that's about all you can ever get

Quadzilla likes this.
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Thanks. Anyone else?

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    @Quadzilla Here's what I came up with when I had a B3 - definitely not perfect, a bit outside the box perhaps:

"Amusing"
    1. 160 Comp - set however you like your compressor
    2. AWah+Dist - Sense 5, Gain 20, Level 50, Dry 31, Tone 50, Reso 7, Chain Aftr
    3. Bit Crush - Bit 16, SMPL 25, Bal 42, Tone 5, Level 75

I used the bit crusher alone for Time Is Running Out, and both effects for Hysteria. Swap the order if that sounds too messy with the bit crusher last; I can't decide which order I like better. Maybe you'd like a Muff in place of the bit crusher, too; I did sometimes.

Quadzilla likes this.
  5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Hmmm... this is the second time in as many days that I've seen a zoom patch breakdown for a muse song using the bit crusher effect.

Now that my MS60b has this effect courtesy of the new firmware, I must try it out!

Quadzilla likes this.
  6. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    There was an Hysteria patch if you search the 'Zoom B3 patch library' page here on TB

For me set the Total balance to 60 so you have a good amount of clean.
    M filter or A filter (just a little blended in)
    Squeak or Great Muff (personal preference).
    Super Bass with bass cut.

I found that the sim values change a lot between different basses and strings so there's not much to be gained from copying exactly.

One of the other TBers made a good point in that, 'It's best to make your own approximation with the gear you have than trying to be exact'.
    Like I said you can get close, sitting with the B3 and experimenting is the best way to do it, sometimes something counter intuitive gets better results than you might think.

Quadzilla likes this.