1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Muse - Time Is Running Out

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by u84six, Dec 5, 2011.

1. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
  2. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
  3. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Ok, he stacks several effects and mixes with clean. So, back to my original question. Does anyone know which effect(s) he's using to get this particular fuzz sound in THIS song?

4. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
    Your welcome, and if it helps, the OP of that thread has a series of Youtube videos where he demonstrates how to get some of those sounds, including Time is Running Out.
    Muse Tones Vol 3 - YouTube

5. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Perfect thanks! I didn't know it was such a complex process (i.e. I'm not an effects guy).

6. chessrocks

chessrocks

Aug 8, 2011
    Technically, it's not a wooly mammoth, but you could cop that general tone with one.

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Time is Running Out isn't an effect - it's a keyboard synth. He plays it on his bass live, but the keyboard player they use for live shows is also doing it at the same time. The recorded version is 100% just a synth.

8. Valencia

Valencia

Nov 26, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'm pretty sure live, as of recently, it is just a Woolly Mammoth with his clean signal mixed in. I doubt Morgan is playing anything at all since in the live videos I've seen recently for TIRO, he isn't even behind his keyboard area, unless you can prove me wrong. For the studio recording I heard it was a keyboard synth with a clean bass mixed in also.

9. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    I always thought it was the Deep Impact. Guess I'm wrong. Well, it was bound to happen eventually.

10. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Bismarck, ND
    I can cop that tone almost exactly with my MXR Blowtorch. We do a few MUSE tunes in the money/cover band I'm in, and the Blowtorch gets a lot of use.

The pedal itself totally seems to polarize people... they either love it or hate it... but there are some decent videos up on YouTube that demonstrate what it can do.

For example:

11. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    You know, I was kind of suspecting that it was a synth after hearing the song, but wanted to check with you effects gurus first to see if I'm missing something. ;)

On the plus side, it got me to checking out the wooly mammouth and I like what I hear. I've been in the market for a nice fuzz pedal and this one is definitely up there on my list.

So far, there's only 2 fuzz boxes that sound good for what I'm doing. The Wooly Mammouth and the WH Swollen Pickle. I haven't heard anything better than them at this point unless someone can show me more options.

12. chessrocks

chessrocks

Aug 8, 2011
    I think the general sentiment of this thread seems to be that ... there are plenty of different ways you can skin this particular cat.

13. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    He really only uses the Deep Impact for about 6 or so songs of theirs, and it's not even used on the most popular ones...

14. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I pretty much nail Hysteria and Uprising's sound with a Prunes & Custard going into an Iron Ether Oxide. I haven't tried to get it THAT throaty...but when I mix the B3K at the end of that combo it gets REALLY nice and crunchy.

15. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I use an Iron Ether Oxide to great effect

Driven Crane likes this.
  16. That it is, and more bass players should learn keyboard synth bass. It really isn't as hard as you think. I wish more bass players would be open to that, but then again I might have less gigs. So please guys, continue to think that it's one and the same. :D

17. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I believe kaput has nailed it with the deep impact and I've come pretty close (I think for my setup obviously being very different from Chris'.

Kaput will be along soon (I assume) to throw his hat in.

PS chris does now just use the wm live. Both times I saw them last year it sounded like just the wm and clean.

18. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Yea, it is the Deep Impact. Sorry Jmatt, but watch the video. It is exactly the sound. Live (now) it is the woolly mammoth.

The blowtorch can hit it too, if you put half dead batteries in it. The mastotron can get real close as well, depending on the settings.

It was recorded with a Pedulla into his rigs with the deep impact setting 1. All the actual settings are in the video (Muse Bass Tones Vol. 3).

It is in my honest opinion that it is in fact the DI. I have the exact tone to the point where you can be in my studio, bass rig in one ear, recording in the other and you cannot tell which is which. The same goes for Hysteria, Deadstar, SMBH and many other tones including Apocalypse Please (Uses the DI) Space Dementia (DI again) and various others.

Uprising is the EHX Octave Multiplexor into the Crowther Prunes and Custard into the WM. The break down is that combo into an Electrix Filter Factory.

While the rig is properly difficult to duplicate, songs like TIRO is literally the DI. I have mine set to full on effect, but for a single chain setup, you can blend to suit your needs.

I hope that covers everything.

19. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Apocalypse Please
    Space Dementia
    TIRO
    Plug In Baby
    I belong To You

Any you think I am missing?