Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Muse Vs. Radiohead

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Mods, before you instantly close this, it isn't just an apples vs. oranges thing.

Muse has been called by critics a bunch of Radiohead wannabes. I'm not catching this. The singer, a little bit, but the singer doesn't define the band. Muse is more structured, "rockin'" if you will. Radiohead seems freer, not to say that Muse's songs don't allow a certain freeness to the feel, but less so than radiohead.

I prefer Muse though, I wouldn't call them "awesome" but, I dig 'em when I'm in the mood.

So those who think Muse are Radiohead ripoffs, explain.

2. More like a continuation of Radiohead in their past direction, not their new techno-inspired selves...

I like them just fine. I like the record. Know who I like better is South and Elbow.

3. I like Radiohead better because they sound a lot more diverse.

I mean, they wrote Kid A. Techno-tastic. ;)

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    First time I played muse for a friend of mine he said "what is this? new radiohead?" :cool:

5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Grapes and Potatos....

6. Yeah they are completely different. I love them both but Muse just pips it for me, mainly due to Chris Wolstenholme.

7. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Most people I have shared muse with comment "sounds like rage with thom yourke on vocals" IMO two distinct bands one of which so many people have heard that it makes the comparison easy (for those that like to compartmentalize things).

8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Muse all the way baby. Those bass lines, the overdrive/distortion tone, the general tone of the entire music and Matt's voice. My god. Brilliant, simply brilliant live show aswell. Radiohead were a band i could just never get into :meh:

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Matt spends a bit much time in Falcetto for me, but Chris' basslines are fantastic, Colin Greenwood's are OK, both good bassists.

The thing that bugs me about Muse (I've never seen them live but...) the guitarist plays keyboard on the albums. Do they get somebody live or does he cut one of the parts out (some songs have both at the same time)

10. On the Hullabaloo DVD Matt plays both. I'm not sure what they do about some songs on Absolution though since there's keyboard and guitar at the time in some of their latest songs but on their live DVD he plays both.

Get the DVD you won't regret it.

11. Of the limited few Muse songs I've heard, they're way better than Radiohead. Once my friend gave a cd to borrow and later I asked if he gave me a cd of elevator music. Turns out it was the amnesiac album :rolleyes:

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So, do I want a right jab or a left hook in the naughty bits?

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

At the same time?! Wow, than Muse is way better.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    then

From what I have heard, I prefer Muse.

15. I really like both. And i agree, Muse sounds alot like Radiohead's earlier work. I really enjoy Radioheads new music too. I'm pretty easy to please i guess.

16. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    agreed

17. thesmallprint

thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    actually in citezen erased matt does play briefly guitar and piano at the same time

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    OooOoooOoOoOld thread. :)

19. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    From my POV...

Muse: 3 very impressive technical players writing challenging, good songs that are far beyond your typical radio fodder.

Radiohead: 5 players that make up much more than the sum of their parts, as well as crafting some of the most interesting and creative music of the last 10 years.

...or we could simply enjoy each particular band for their personal styles and remember that music isn't a competition, but that would take the fun out of this sort of thing, wouldn't it? ;)