Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    right, I was looking inside muse's first album - showbiz. and who has ever heard of ne of these instruments?

radio noise (not an instrument i know)
    tape abuse (not an instrument again)
    slap nylon
    fat piano
    nylon guitar

honestly, the youth of today! :p

so could sumbody plz tell me wot ne of these are?
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Most of these are keyboard-style instruments.

meletron - Actually spelled "Mellotron". An ancient electronic organ. If I remember correctly, sounds were "programmed into it through tape loops. You can hear a Mellotron in the intro of the Beatles' Strawberry Fields Forever"

hammond - These are both electric organs

CS1 - Haven't the faintest idea. Must be some old school synth.

tape abuse - Ah, the joys of recording in analog. Early electronic music would be created by recording sounds on tape and hen speeding it up, slowing it down, playing it backwards or cutting the tape in sections and splicing it back together in random order.

slap nylon - No idea

fat piano - Nope.

nylon guitar - The same as "classical" guitar, which has nylon strings. C'mon, you're not thinking hard enough!

harmonium - Again, a keyboard instrument. It's a bit like an organ, a bit like an accordion. It's a box with bellows which have to be filled with air with the player's left hand, while the right hand plays the keyboard. It was a very important instrument for missionaries and has become an important instrument in indian music.

crickets - Probably crickets.

Is Muse that 80s british band? I think I could get int that (then again, I might be thinking of the Throwing Muses)
  3. hammond - the true king of organs. it has very warm sound. a lot of 70's bands use(d) it.

fat piano - If i'm not mistaken, it's also known as the " Honky Tonk "-piano..

nylon guitar - I think they mean accoustic guitar by that one.. some accoustic guitars have nylon strings..