Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mushroomhead? Ripoff of slipknot?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Mar 7, 2002.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I saw a video of theres a few weeks ago, and man they looked like they were trying rip on slipknot. Dont know a thing about them. The double vocal thing they were doing was cool. The music was so-so.

Any other impressions from other TBr's

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Actually they were doing whatever it is they're doing a couple of years before Slipknot.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Really why havent I heard of them!! I must spent to much time listening to old stuff.

So what is there other stuff like?

4. Slipknot's the rip off artists.

*Over heard at Kinks Concert:*

"Hey those guys are ripping off Van Halen!"

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D

Some people just don't have a clue!

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know Mushroom head tried to bring a lawsuit against Slipknot, saying they copied them. Well, aside from one coming from Cleveland, and the other in Des Moines, I'd have to say the Mushroomhead is bitter. Why? Well, lets say that in the infinite possibilities of random chaos, two bands end up doing the same thing (which, as we know, has NEVER happened before* :rolleyes: ). Even when you make up for the geographic differences, who's to say who did what and got it from whom? Then ONE of those two bands gets bigger, faster, and plays better music. What do you do?

Well, apparenltly try to take credit, and maybe actually sell a record or two. IMHO, Mushroomhead is completly inferior, and needs an angle to try to nudge into the scene. They need to get over it. If they are better, let's see it. Put up or shut up. Besides, I don't know if a "look" can be intellectual property...

*Wha? Two guitars!? One Singer? A bass and a Drummer! It's NEVER been done! Amazing! Watch as I drip sarcasm with exclamations!!

7. rickbass

I think Donne nails it completely!!!!.... "You mean to say Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings???"

8. What I don't get here is:

Why would anyone want to rip off Slipknot???

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Was Alice Cooper before Ziggy Stardust aka David Bowie?

10. rickbass

Yep. The "Ziggy" persona didn't show up until `72 when Cooper was already burning up the charts. I saw Cooper in `69 - all the major personnel was there, "Pretties for You" and "Easy Action" were already out, they already had the silver suits, Dunaways had the sparkly EB, and they already had the hanging act. Still, they were living on spaghetti noodles without any sauce.

'71 saw "Man Who Sold the World" released but that didn't make much of a splash in the US until after America discovered Bowie.