1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mushrooms and Peter Erskine

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linas, May 3, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Ok so during the day yesterday, i went to a forest and found a bunch of morrel mushrooms. Im sure i will be eating some great dishes with morels these next few days.

Morels017.

Then at night, i went to Durty Nellys in Palatine to check out a Peter Erkine clinic and he was playing with Bob Sheppard and Dave Carpenter. It was a good clinic/show.

Morels004.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I though you saw Peter Erskine on mushrooms..my bad.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    they look like a bunch of little brains.

4. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I have a mycology final today....how ironic.

5. hmmmm...i thought that the two subjects were in some way related to each other...but thats nice that you did those two things :)

I like mushrooms, but i don't think i would trust myself to go out in nature to get them myself...i'd probably grab the poison ones :)

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Did you find any cubies out there Linas?!

7. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    hah, no they dont grow in this part of the country. I would need to go further south.

8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Those are nuts looking murshrooms!! You should save one just to show people...

I know a guy who eats mushrooms he finds in the dirt. He eats the dirt, too. He's also REALLY messed up (his name is Crazy Mike. He had a really bad experience with LSD once - REALLY bad - and now hes just messed up), and I have a feeling eating random wild mushrooms isnt making anything better. Im sure you know what youre doing, though (I wouldnt have even known those were mushrooms lol).

9. those mushrooms are crazy looking. you should have gone to the show after you ate them.
    +1 on saving one

lamborghini how much LSD did he take?

10. Mike A

Mike A

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Morels are great, unfortunately you only get to hunt 'em for about a month-long window in the springtime. Here's the first one I found this year (on April 1st.) They're super freakin' tasty.

[​IMG]

11. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I've always wanted to try a fresh Morel but a.) I don't think they grow around my area and b.) after taking this mycology class, I'm afraid I'd mistake it for something that will make me seriously ill!

12. Mike A

Mike A

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    As with anything you want to do well, you simply have to do your homework. Once you get used to seeing morels, there's really nothing else in the woods that looks like 'em... even a "false morel" IMO looks nothing like a real one.

This is a pretty good forum for folks who hunt all kinds of edible wild mushrooms:
    http://www.mushroomhole.com/

What area are you in, lbpark?

13. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Nice mushroom mike. And lbpark, it is pretty easy to identify morels over false morels, but if your not sure the only thing you can do "if in doubt throw it out" and that way you live or dont get ill.

14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i thought this thread was about psychedelic mushrooms and maybe that you and peter tripped together. but cool anyway man.

15. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I guess a morel is a morel. We heard plenty of stories relating to people confusing chantrels with jack o' latern mushrooms. Nasty stuff...

16. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    peter doesnt seem like the type to be doing psychadelics or drugs, at least not now, maby during his weather report days MABY!!?? This is just the way i took him to be. As for mushroom confusion, yes there can be nasty things such as liver faliure if you get the wrong one. Like i said "if in doubt throw it out". Still even the experinced mushroom hunters can slip up.

17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    ha. :smug:

18. he played jazz in the 70's and 80s...odds are pretty good that he's done them at least once in his life

19. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Mycology interests me greatly.
    If you're not sure you could always take a spore print, right?
    blue is good, yeah?