Music a lesson in humility

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mcbassdude, May 23, 2003.

1. Am I alone?
    The more I learn about the bass, and the better I get, the more I realize just how much I don't know.
    Although I've been a working bassist for 20+ years and although I usually get the gig's I audition for, even though the cats I play with give me props, I often feel like "Man, this is the time they figure out that I can't play bass"
    Do I need therapy or what?
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You're definitely not alone.
  3. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    yup. you`re fine.

I`m a moderately skilled graphican, and despite the fact that folks consider me good, and I`m able to make my living just by doing graphics, I get that "i`m nothing" felling quite often:) There`s always something new to learn, discover.
  4. There is always someone better in everything you do - whether you're aware of it or not. That doesn't mean that you can't aspire to be the best you can. Afterall, you can't really do any better than that.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Every so often I see my friends that are bassest & I'm like damn, they're awesome. Then I hear those same friends give me the same praise I just gave them.
  6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    diddo nino... or I see some pro (think victor wooten) and think to myself... THIS is why I suck. My non-bass playing friends don't get it.... :D
  7. Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    I get that way when I see my bassist friends play, it only makes me want to practice more.
  8. Nice to see I'm not alone on this one.
    I'm always a bit embarrased when my band mates slap me on the back and give me a high 5.
    I saw Macy Gray's band a month back and her bassist was so funky and phat, not so much runs as his time and feel, that I left the show thinking "I'm such a hack". He did inspire me though and I guess that's what it is all about.
  9. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    This site does it for me. All the time.

I never stop learning though, that's extremely important to me.
    I just try to remind myself that music isn't a competition...... but I just wish that if it was that I'd win.
  10. I think learning and developing is not only knowing new things you never knew before, but it is also conceiving new questions and finding yourself in situations in which you realize you don't know the solution to a certain problem. Cause your knowledge wont grow till long after you've faced and recognized what you need to know.
    And I think that applies not only to music.
  11. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I think self-satisfaction is one of the greatest impediments to artistic growth there is. I believe in keeping it green. A ripe fruit has nothing to ripen to. It just gets rotten.

Of course, you have to have an honest appreciation for what you can do and already know. Checks and balances, I reason.
  12. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    To loosely paraphrase George Steiner: "...the greatest compliment that a human can be paid is to be challenged..." Meaning, seeing someone that much better at something and being compelled to attain that level of comprehension (or expertise, technique, knowledge, etc) should NOT cause you to brood and give up, but rather to embrace the challenge and to succeed.

True words: I gave up playing in the mid 90's because I though I would never be good enough to hang with the big boys. But I eventually got back into it, persevered and succeeded to get where I am today. Today, I see players 1000x better than me and do not feel overwhelmed, rather, I feel inspired and attempt to "get" a small fraction of what they "got".

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Also same, I attribute this to two things:

Being humble: Seems like only the noobs with little to no experience actually think they RaWk....this will wear off, if they stick with it long enough.

Second, the fact that we "know what we know". It's not a challenge to play things you have had down for years, no matter how impressive it is to others. But when another player pulls out some chops he's had in his pocket for impresses you, and shows you a new challenge....and likewise to him, it is just old tricks.

From what I am told, I am acknowledged as one of the best players in our area, but for the same reasons above, I still feel like an aging hack.

Anyone agree?
  15. I've been humiliated at enough jam sessions/open mics to know when I need improvement.
  16. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Actually, I disagree with that. Your aim here is to be *you*, and no-one can do that better than you can.
  17. Well, I personally think that I'm terrible...:meh:

I'm not really feeling the humility in playing bass yet, but in the other cultural arts that I'm involved in (acting and singing), I can feel it. I've developed so much in the past year that when I look back even to last summer, I'm just wowwed.
  18. You guys are so slow at picking up the basics, honestly!

I knew I sucked the second I touched a musical instrument. It just flowed naturally from the center of my being.

50% ;) , 50% :meh:
  19. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I feel the same way even though i haven't even been playing for half the time you have. At competitions people from other schools both bass players & none come up to me on occasion and say that they think i am a great player or have a great tone [thank you trusty Ray5] yet i don't think i'm that great since i don't know all of my minor scales, have trouble on initial readings of charts w/making a line that fits correctly, and i still have trouble with sight-reading music along with many many more factors-not to mention technique or different styles/feels in other words that i have a looonnnnnnnggggg road ahread of me in the world of playing and tone development.
    It's fun though. I'd like to get to the playing level of Jamerson, Marcus Miller, Lee Sklar, Jimmy Blanton [i'm a doubler {BG & DB}], Rufus Reid, Mingus, Pops Foster, and Christian McBride, to mention a few names, but i will strive to get as close as possible in my own world to achieving a glimpse of that level. That is the fun part, knowing that i can always improve and try new things that i may not have done before. This post looks fairly long to me and i'm not sure how much sense it will actually make so i will end it now. Thats all
  20. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    See here's the thing. I think I'm brilliant. I'm the best bass player in the world. Don't believe me, just ask me........

See how silly it sounds. I sound like a guitarist.......

You're definitely not alone. I'd say every bass player without exception feels the same.