Music and Animals

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JTbass, Jan 8, 2005.

1. JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX
    well i was just listening to some music and druming along with it on my thighs and our dog came into my room. everyone else is out right now and she was laying on the couch in the living room but came in when she heard me slaping my legs along with the music. so i started peting her and pating her along with the beat of the music. well it made me wonder if she understood what was going on. or what she or other animals think or feel when they hear music. or if its way beyond them and they just see it as noise.

just thought id throw that out there. dose anyone know anything about this? have there been scientific studies about how animals react to music?
  2. (I have decided not to ask what "slaping", "peting", and "pating" mean)

Ahem. Yes, I am also very interested in the subject. I've noticed that the music I play definitely affects house pets -- for example, if I'm playing some slinky jazz, they'll usually want to flop themselves down and doze. And if I'm playing uptempo, energetic music, that usually riles them up or just makes them more active.

Oh, I do know that my cat is especially attracted to music by Wayne Shorter. Yes, I know it sounds weird, but she really likes the music, and I can tell. When I put on a Wayne Shorter CD, she usually comes in the room and lies down by the speakers. I kid you not!

I'm thinking of sending Wayne Shorter a letter thanking him and telling him about how much my cat enjoys his music, but that just might weird him out...
  3. My drummer's cat loves my keyboardist's Yorkville combo. Probably the carpet covering...

Seriously though, my birds hate my bass playing. Especially slapping. But I do believe that animals understand music to some extent.
  4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    My Boston Terrier attempts to attack my amp if I am playing sometimes, or just barks at it. If I am playing the flute, he howls along kinda strange, but I appreciate the effort (he has bad pitch).
  5. My parrot whistles along to music sometimes. He once got it in key, and was whistling a fairly good counter melody.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've 2 cats the come running when I play bass... they usually try to sit on my lap as I play.
  7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    My roommate and I have a beta fish that likes hardcore. He was doing this little dance one time while I was playing His Hero is Gone. He does the same sort of thing whenever I play bass.

Either he's dancing, or the sound vibrations are rattling his bowl and causing him immense discomfort. It's kind of hard to tell just from his body movement.

He also really likes GTA:San Andreas. I guess it's sort of like his private revenge fantasy.
  8. mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    humans are the only species on the planet that can change there internal rhyhmn to the beat of music. So to animals it just noise. But a dog can indentify the sound of ur car so they can probally identy what kinda mood ur in by the type of music ur playing
  9. I'm not sure about that. I'm going to need to do some research on the subject before coming to any conclusions.
  10. One of my dogs really likes funk...and the other gets really annoyed by any kind of noise.
  11. My toy poodle loves Weather Report, she will lick the speakers and cd cover when its on .

My mixed breed dog enjoys Iron Maiden, I swear I saw her headbanging one time! :)
  12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Thats not true. Ever see that Outkast Video :D

My dog doesn't come to me when I play bass. She doesn't seem to hate my bass playing or like it. On the other hand when I'm playing my guitar she gets up and leaves. I think that her way of saying "Thats a great guitar riff. For me to poop on!!"
  13. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    My cat prefers New Age in the morning, R&B in the afternoon and silence, tv or me playing at night. Any variation and he goes nuts.
  14. I'll be the first musical therapist... for animals.

Oh wait, has that been done already?
  15. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    My dog (Jack Russell, at home) goes nuts for piano, guitar, and cell phone ringtones. He howls along, sometimes in time, never in key, but howls, nonetheless. My gf's dogs (dachshunds) could care less.