Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music as a Career?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Alright, this is a big question to ask a group of people I don't really know, but here goes. Should music be my career? I'm currently an Art Major at Edinboro University of Pennslyvania... but I'm strongly considering a music major. I've always dreamed of being an education musician, but I haven't had the severe determination to sit down and say, "OK... I'm going to learn this." I know a good point this brings up... If I won't do it on my own time, why would I do it as a major. Simple, I'm one of those people if forced to do something... I'll do it. I would love to be able to be one of you who can sit here and chit chat theroy lingo all day long. But alas, I'm currently a, "uhhh, I put my finger on the 7th fret and it made a good noise" kinda guy. (Well not that bad, but whatev). So my fine feathered friends, you may be thinking, wow this kid sounds like he really loves music, and if your thinking this, it is very true. So it is known, I can't think of any genre of music that I can't find something a little bit cool about. But now your thinking, "The whole point of college is to work to get a job you'd love, so why isn't he doing." The JOB part scares me... and this is where you come into play. Some Music JOBS that I can think of are...

Rock Star
    Studio Musician
    Producer (Studio work/etc)
    Jingle writer

But that's all I can really think of. Help me out guys, I'm strongly considering a music major, keeping my photo minor though. Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    You need to ask?

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd get a really good teacher first who will kick your ass and teach you theory.

music school is a lot of money to spend on a meaningless degree (i should know, i'm a music major :D ) so going in behind the "average" admitted musician isn't goign to be pleasant and will take a lot of time. plus, lots of places to theory tests as part of the admissions process. UW did, thankfully i passed it.

best of luck

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    To be successful at anything you'll need to work hard. You'll get out of music exactly what you put into it. If you aversion to hard work, you'll need to change that. Despite what pop culture tells us, there are no overnight sensations. Success does not come easy. It's time to be extremely honest with yourself.

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Warwick5S: Is that a moogle reference in your avatar? :D

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Music as a career??? That's crazy talk! Next you'll be saying that the moon isn't made of cheese. Mmmmm....cheese....

Seriously, if it's what you want, go for it and worry about the job thing afterwards. If you can't get a music-based job right away, then you can still pay the bills with an average schmoe job. But when a bass playing gig pops up, you'll have the advantage over all those average schmoes. Do what you love and figure out a way to live off it.

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville

Yeah what Warwick 5s said.. I too am a music major.. my bass teacher kicks my ass.. so does my voice teacher.. My voice teacher really does.. but I like it.. there are those professors here that are overly nice and won't tell you how bad you screwed something up.. I hate that.. You need to learn the truth before you can start to improve....

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I didn't have formal training on bass - just piano and guitar. But, that instruction and having a musician as a close family member translated into my not being a total musical idiot.

Two of the biggest components IME are the ability to accept rejection and dogged determination in the face of adversity. The highs are very high and the lows are very low.

Secondly, learn how to live with roaches in your apartment/house and get used to eating Ramen noodles as a steady diet. IME, anemia can be just part of the game. :rolleyes:

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah, but Rickbass-at what point do you start to get "spanked?"
    Is that before, or after you get used to the roaches?

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Circus bands
    Cruise Ship bands
    Service Bands (a personal favorite of mine)
    Freelance Musician

....to name a few....

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

When the Ron Rico 151 kicks in

[​IMG]

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    To respond to a few things... if music doesn't pay the bills, that's where my photo minor comes in. Sure a photo minor + art major = photo major at Edinboro, but most of the art classes at my school are drawing, design, animation, etc. Though these are interesting the only way that they really relate to photo... you really need to look at what your taking a picture of when it comes to photo, it isn't just *snap* I'm done lets jet, lighting and composition are huge issues, interesting stuff. And besides, my girlfriend (who I may very well marry, it's been discussed, it's very likely) is going to be an English teacher, I can just leech off of her until I get a job :cool:, j/k.

I've thought long and hard about this and there are very few things that I love in this world, it's terrible to be able to list off such a short list of something you could have an infinite amount of if it's in your heart, but I'm going through some hard times, my heart isn't letting very much love out. But the things I love, in no particular order (drum roll). My family, my girlfriend, and music. A few things got chopped off just recently due to these dark times I'm going through, and it's just making things worse. Lennon said, "All you need is love" and I think to be truely happy, this is very true. But, you may have noticed that Photography wasn't on the list of things I love, I have a strong interest in it, but I wouldn't say I loved it. I mean, we've only been going out for a while now, and I'm not ready to move that far into our relationship. ;) I'm fairly sure that this is true to everyone, you are willing to devote yourself to the things you love, and I think if someone was in front of me, pointing the way, I could be a music major.

A music major... pointless?! :eek: ;) Get outta town! Heh, alright, you got a point. It's rare that you see someone walk into an audition with there diploma in there hand, but I would like to have that diploma nevertheless. A music major is one that I wouldn't do so much for a job, but for an educational journey :p. A wiser man that myself might continue an art major (Oh BTW, I'm still technically a freshmen ... errr... technically :( ) and go back and get a music major. But as I stated... a wiser man than myself would. I want it now.

Now, my only issue is jobs available via music. Pacman and myself have compiled a short list, any additional input (ideas, websites, etc.) would be welcome. BTW, Pacman, can anyone make a resonable living off of any of those jobs you mentioned? They seem a little shakey as far as any kind of regular gigging/jobs (freelance musician is kinda obvious).

Thanks for the input so far.

13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Is that who's been spanking you? :D

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
  15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Well, I've managed to make a pretty decent living. I own my house, my kids has no unmet needs, and I'll have an ok retirement at 38 years old. Sounds reasonable to me....

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey, that's all I'm asking for, thanks.