Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

music by hieronymous

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by hieronymous, Jan 25, 2005.

1. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I've had my music online for a while, but for some reason never posted about it here. I've been lurking about for several years, even though my number of posts never seems to advance! Anyway, you can download my music here:

music.download.com/hieronymous

There's a few band things and a couple of solo bass tracks ("Theme from Hieronymous" and "Taurus VI"). I played in a band called "Jiggle the Handle" during the late-'80s through mid-'90s, then quit (both the band and playing in general). I came back to it in 2002, even got to play with Jiggle a few times, and started recording into my computer. The stuff on the website is the result of this new phase of my musical identity.

One of the biggest challenges was going from being a member of a band (and not a songwriter) to having to come up with material! Some of the tracks are improvised, others were somewhat planned out, or grew organically. I'm inspired by bassists that make bass centered music - Jack Bruce and Douglas McCombs (of Tortoise and Brokeback) spring to mind - plus the improvisational, soundscape music of '70s groups like Can and electric Miles Davis, and of course my own jamband roots (Grateful Dead, Phish), with a healthy dose of metal!

It's always weird putting my music out like this, especially to my musician peers. I'm kind of nervous right now! But oh well, I've been meaning to do it for a while. Enjoy! Let me know what you think too...

2. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    bomp

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Pretty cool. :D I really dig the ambience of the Track Taurus VI.

Is that a theremin at the end of the Theme for Heironymous?

Cool stuff man, keep up the good work.
    Adam

4. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Thanks abark000! No theremin, just me standing in front of my stack with distortion and microphonic 4001 pickups! The soundman was kind enough to add delay...

5. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I just posted a new song, called "minus prolegomenon", at a different site:

audiostreet.net/hieronymous

This tune was live in the studio, spontaneously composed, and also the first time I used the Crowther Audio "Prunes & Custard" on my trusty old 1968 Gibson EB-2. The Moog drone was added later.

Audiostreet.net seems like a pretty good place to post music - the best part was that it was up in a couple of minutes, whereas download.music.com takes up to a week (?!!) because they review every song individually (???!!!) to make sure it's legit. But this is the first time I've uploaded something there.