1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music "Cats"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by codydang, Apr 4, 2013.

1. codydang

codydang

Feb 5, 2012
    San Jose
    So I hear the term "cats" in reference to musicians all over the place, which I think is cool. I was curious about the history of the term and if it references any specific 'type' of musicians, if anyone knows about that.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    5089195556_ff9145c7a7.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I think it was a term first used around the Jazz crowd and it grew from there I use to hear it a lot in the 60's and 70's I still use the term but only around my older friends. :)

4. LowBC

LowBC Commercial User

Nov 17, 2008
    Music Go Round - Aurora, CO (owner) We buy used gear!
  5. That just oozes awesome.

6. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    [​IMG]

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Practically all of the vocabulary surrounding music and musicians came from Lester Young.

8. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    My father played Tenor and Lester Young was his man. This just brought back many memories of my father shedding in the kitchen with his bottle on the side :) Or the Sunday afternoon jam sessions at my house.

9. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    I don't think I've ever been called "cat".

If I was I'd be tempted to say something like "Twenty three skidoo, what's buzzin' cuzzin, seen any dames, got that cabbage you owe me?"

10. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I always thought a 'cat' was someone who is ahead of the curve, someone who is musically together and ready to throw down.

11. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    I probably picked up that term during my UNT days in the 80's. I still use it, on occasion, and have noticed that a few of the younger players that come into the music shop have picked it up from me. Haven't really thought about it before now, though.

12. Misread the title. Thought you were referring to the Musical "Cats" :)

Never been called one myself, but I've heard it now and then.

13. Cats are cool!

Attached Files:

• cat.
      cat.jpg
      File size:
      72 KB
      Views:
  14. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Probably derived from the jazz "cutting session," where musicians attempted to shred each other with virtuosity. Nothing shreds better than a cat's claw.

A more familiar collateral damage is the fabric covering of a speaker cabinet, often called "rat fur" by displaying open wounds from them thar claws.

15. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA

16. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
  17. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    5123509A-08EC-4F27-909B-2901B2B8B7F8-762-0000009E166E25D6_zps3a7408c5.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Thats pretty accurate. It was a terms used by hipsters to describe themselves and other hipsters, back during the Beat generation.

Someone linked to a definition of the term "hepcat" which is probably where "cat" was derived from.

19. Musically, Cat:
    Stray cat, alley cat, rogue cat, independent, slinky, rough and tough yet smooth and silky as a fine liquor.
    Yep, most of us cats fit that description

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    smelly cat

grumpy cat