1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Cities (LA)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bearfoot, Jun 2, 2014.

1. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    This is basically the "moving to a music city" question, with a focus on LA. I have a potentiality to move there. I am primarily a piano/guitar singer songwriter, and my songs are very successful in their own micro-climates in which they are heard. I am also a reading musician and have played bass in bands for many years.

I feel this question is an endless circle, but am interested in fresh opinions here, on music cities in general, and pros/cons about LA specifically. I know it is a tough town, saturated with musicians etc. but I suspect the networking possibilities could be excellent.

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money
    trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and
    pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side.” -Hunter S. Thompson

I love that quote. ;)

What is it that you want to know? What kind of gigs do you wan to play? Do you want to play in original band projects in all the usual Hollywood dives on Sunset? Or pit orchestra musicals on Hollywood Blvd? Jazz clubs? Are you a union member? Networking is very important. Sending an EPK to every agent, music publisher, promoter, etc, is recommended. I know a few who are doing OK in the industry. A couple of my buddies play, arrange, or have played on movie sound tracks. One owns a production company after working with Curb records for 20 years. A few friends are in touring bands. A couple of my friends have had records on the radio but are now playing regional gigs, small tours, etc. Do you want to make a living or "make it big"? You really have to hustle and promote yourself if you want to make a living just playing music. I have never been able to do it. But that could be because I was too practical, or lazy. I've always had a day job and never really wanted to starve for a while in order to take a chance on reaching super-stardom.

I don't know if there is a "fresh" opinion on this subject. This kind of thing is all up to you, how hard you work, lucky breaks, persistence, patience, talent, good decisions, and a host of other variables.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

sparkyfender2 likes this.
  3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Reading between the lines of BassCliff's post above, I hear:
    Don't come to LA - I have enough competition as it is...
    Just kidding.

BassCliff and Remyd like this.
  4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Ha!

smileygoofy.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

tangentmusic likes this.
  5. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    L.A. saturated with musicians - check.

Excellent networking possibilities - check.

Theres tons of way-better bass players than myself in L.A. But I still get called frequently for gigs with bands ive never heard of or played with.

Just turned down a job 20 minutes ago. It sounded pretty good (venue/pay), but am playing that nite with another band across town.

Life is good.

ime, the biggest downside of L.A. is the traffic. It wastes precious time, wastes precious fuel,,,It sucks the life right out of you. And the roads are in terrible shape. And wonky traffic logistics; i.e., the Manchester Blvd on-ramp to NB 405 fwy. I mean, if ever there was an on-ramp that cried out for metering, this is the one. Yet, ironically,(incredibly) this seems to be the only on-ramp in the city which ISN'T. So anytime during the day while travelling through that area, you have to slam on the brakes because 23 cars are merging AT ONCE. Anyway, you should consider this aspect of the L.A. scene. Somebody told me a long time ago that I'd get used to it. Well, they were wrong.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  6. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Don't be the guy who moved from Ohio to LA to "make it". Please.