Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music City Texas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Anybody here even been to Linden, Tx? I was reading something about Don Henley that mentioned he grew up in Linden. Apparently they have a place there called Music City Texas that features a lot of well know acts. Don Henley played there in 2004.

Some day I'm going to write a book on the history of music in East Texas. I'm am constantly surprised by the number of well known musicians that come from this area.

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Roscoe Beck is from about a twenty minutes drive east of Linden, the bustling metropolis of Atlanta TX. (My wife is from there. )

3. Earl of Houston

Earl of Houston

Feb 11, 2005
    Jump back! Roscoe Beck from Atlanta, TX? That's my dad's homeplace, and the location of the annual family reunion this weekend. Know the place fairly well, but never lived there. And, Linden is on the way there. Can't imagine a place in Linden big enough, or vibrant enough, to host music shows other than honky tonk-style music, but I could be very wrong. May have to split off from the group for a couple of hours to see what's hopping in downtown Linden, TX!

4. Earl of Houston

Earl of Houston

Feb 11, 2005
  5. Page 2 in the Gallery shows Don Henley on stage.

I'm telling you, there's something in the water in East Texas that makes great musicians.

Just here in the little twon of Greenville we had a guy named Ben Kweller who's band Radish played on Letterman a number of years ago. The singer for the christian group Mercy Me was raised here and the whole bands lives in town now. They are huge right now.

Here is a funny one. Years ago the front page of the Greenville paper said Mick Jagger was seen eating at a local Chinese food place. If I remember correctly, his ex-wife, Jerry Hall is from Mesquite, Tx. Apparently her parents lived out in this area.

Thats just weird to me.............Mick Jagger in Greenville........

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    There's a great blues guitarist out of Houston Texas (thats east texas too ya know) named Robert Calva. He's simply amazing. Taught at MI, graduated from NTU, wrote some books for Hal Leonard. You ought to check him out if you can.