Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Classes or not.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PinkFloyd76767, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Hello everyone. Alright I'm extremely serious about playing bass for the rest of the my life and making a living doing it. I have the choice right now to go to a public high school and taking all music classes except for maybe a few PLUS music courses at the local community college OR I could stay the the school I am at now, one which I am extremely comfortable at, which has little or no music program (I can still take classes at the community college). I dunno if I feel comfortable leaving my very familiar environment(yeah Im a panzee). Im going on Friday to check out the school and see what happens.

Anyway, what would you do if you were me?

2. Are you in high school or what? Graduate from HS first.

If I were you, I'd do both. Take your normal school classes, and on your own time take classes at another school. Or find an instructor that knows what s/he is doing.

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    not GI related, off to Misc.....

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'd take ensemble classes rather than instruction classes because a private instructor can teach you one-on-one rather than one instructor for a whole class of students. It would be a much more efficient way to gain that sort of musical knowledge while you learn ensemble playing through experience.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Finish high school with excellent grades, then major in music at a leading university known for its music program. Not that serious? Go to Berklee or comparable music school after high school.

Nathan East graduated from the University of California (UCSD), and look at his gigs. There are a lot of floggers and wankers in the music business. You can meet many of them working down at GC on any given weekend. If you want to make a living at it, you have to be GOOD!