Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

music college

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thefact, Aug 17, 2003.

1. thefact

thefact

Aug 11, 2003
    hey everyone. i was wondering if anyone has any good information to share with me about music colleges, as i will be sending out applications within the year. any ideas on where to apply, and if there are any good schools i might not know about? any great bass chairs? i am hoping to go to school in the new england area, but I would appreciate any suggestions from across the county. thanks.

2. thefact

thefact

Aug 11, 2003
    i forgot to mention, i play stand up bass and electric bass :)

3. I don't know of any music schools up in your area, but the University of North Texas in Denton is considered one of the best. Don Henly and Gary Willis both graduated from their music school.

4. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    Hey,

I went to school at U. of North Texas for 3 years.
    Its a great place to be. Tons of talented musicians in Denton. A lot of opportunities to jam with people.
    School is school though. Make sure you can READ READ and READ if you wanna go far at North Texas. If you have your reading really together, than your gonna have a way easier time. Lynn Seaton is an exellent teacher/player. Only takes 10 students per semester( atleast when i was there ).
    Anyway, ask me more if you want to know more about it.

Chris

5. dumnut

dumnut

Oct 6, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Denton? The home of happiness?

6. thefact

thefact

Aug 11, 2003
    don't worry, i can read just fine, and i actually consider myself to be an excellent reader. :cool: i will take a look at north texas state. somebody told me that north texas has a lot of big band jazz programs, but almost no combo jazz stuff, which is what i do and want to pursue. thanks for your replies.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D

Hello, I'm Brad Majors(a$$hole!) and this is my girlfriend Janet(slut!).

:D

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Butler University in Indianapolis. David Murray is the bass instructor. Look him up he knows his shizz. Hes the president of the international society of bassist and studied directly under Gary Karr.

9. I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Berklee. Drummer, bassist, and guitarist from Dream Theater went there, so did Kevin Eubanks from the Jay Leno show..Cliff Burton...many others. Did Vic go there? I can't rememeber.

10. William Paterson University in NJ has a very good program (not that I've gone there but it gets many good writups in the papers) I believe Rufus Reid used to head the program.

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The University of Indiana in Bloomington, IN has a well-respected school of music. Check it out. My son knew many of the students there as it was situated close to his dorm and many of the music students lived in that dorm.

Also check the University of Miami, in Coral Gables, FL. It has a well respected department of music too.

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Vic didn't go to Berklee, and neither did Cliff Burton.

By the way, in New England there's Berklee, Eastman, New England Conservatory, University of New England, Univeristy of Mass (Amherst), Boston University... add New York and there's City College of New York (Ron Carter teaches there), Manhattan School of Music, Julliard, New York University...and more...

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What ever happened to B.I.T. bass institute of technology in Califonia?

14. thefact

thefact

Aug 11, 2003
    i have never heard of it

15. Boplicity

It still exists. Check this web site:

http://www.mi.edu/programs/bit.htm

16. Boplicity

You might also want to look into Jeff Berlin's PLayers School of Music that was originally only for bass players, but has expanded to other instruments in a model similar to Musician's Institute. His school is in Florida.

http://www.playerschool.com

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Thanks Bop, I was interested in the early 80's in going and had applied but didn't really want to move to Cali at the time. Sure wish I had made that move then:bawl:

18. Lol Cliff did, I would know, I'm a fan. :D :bassist:

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nope. Cliff did study music theory in junior college, but he did not go to Berklee.