music colleges

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gumby7, Jul 18, 2001.

1. gumby7

Feb 15, 2000
    hey i was wonderin about music colleges. i really wanna be a musician when i grow up, will going to a music college make me any better or will it just give me a crappy piece of paper to show to people? what will i really learn there? any info would be appreciated. thanks
  2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i don't know about going to music college through experience (i'm probably younger than you).
    Here are some famous music colleges (known to be some of the best).
    -Berklee College of Music (in Boston)
    -Juilliard (NY) it is very small, and incredibly hard to get into, they only except about 150 people a year, while there are a lot more that try to get in.
    -and there is Cornesh (SP?) up here in seattle.
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Go to a real college. You'll have plenty of time to practice, you can work with professors in the music department, you'll get laid often, you'll get lots of gigging opportunities, and in the end at least you will have a degree to fall back on if things don't work out.

One of the considerations that an aspiring musician has to realize is that technical skill and drive only get you so far. In music, you also need intrinsic creativity that can't be taught. In the music business, you mostly need luck to get into a situation where you can make a good living.

If you'd be satisfied with a future on cruise ships or in an off-broadway orchestra pit, I'd advise going to a music school. Take a look at the resumes of band members out there today making it big. The majority don't have four years sunk into a music degree.

If you really love music and want to make it your living, consider this - be a music teacher. You train to learn many different instruments in order to be able to teach school kids, the pay's not bad, you get all the holidays off and the regular hours are cake, plus you have all summer to gig. Best of all, you'll be making a contribution to society.
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I could not disagree more. Every music teacher I know went in to teaching for the above reasons, and regretted it. The average band teacher here in Georgia (and the story is similar throughout the country) is teaching at 3 or 4 schools (high school, middle school and elementary), organizing before or after school marching band practices, jazz band practices, percussion ensemble rehearsals or competitions. Dealing with fund raisers so the kids can travel to competitions, going to football games every week. By the time school gets out, they're competely wasted, needing 3 months off to get ready to do it again.

And as far as gigging, most of them get no time to practice so their chops suffer to the point no one really wants to work with them. And the pay? horrible, my wife is leaving teaching to join the Air Force partly because even though she has a degree, I've consistantly made more than her in the military band, and I'm just a high school grad.

The only reason to go into teaching is the love of teaching[/i]. Kids are great, especially in band programs (they usually want to be there), and you'll learn a lot about yourself from them.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

6. Also keep in mind that schooling is not going to teach you how to compose music, it will
    give you the tools to get the music thats already in your head on paper or at least the ability to explain it to other musicians. No one can teach you how to create music. That comes from your heart, mind, and soul. As far as school for bass is concerned, I would go for the Bass Collective, it seems have the best teachers.
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    One thing that music school CAN do for you is to help you bring order and discipline into your musical world. It can introduce you very early to the idea that music theory is a FINITE SCIENCE, which means that you can learn to figure out any sound you've ever wondered about or liked in any way and reproduce it whenever you want. This can come in handy later, when you're out of school and actually have time to USE what you've learned to make music.

I have no experience with high school teaching, but I love private teaching and college teaching...the difference is that you're teaching people who have CHOSEN to study the subject, and that makes all the difference in the world. It's also nice when some of your students go on to be professional musicians - under the right circumstances, you feel like you were a part of that growth that led them there.
  8. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    And then take their money.
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  10. the only problem with music schools, if you play electric bass, is that most schools don't consider electric bass an instrument.
  11. gumby7

Feb 15, 2000
    thanks guys... well i know i wanna play music for a living and i dont really want to be a famous rock star i want to know about music and be able to do things with it and play with a bunch of talented muscians along the way
  12. University of North Texas... one of the best music programs in the country..... counting the #1 Jazz Music Program in the Country. Also its a real school too, not just some music school.
  13. "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. "
    - Emile Zola (1840-1902)

bertbassplayer, I love your quote !!! That is sooo true.
    Anyone with pen & paper can write words, that doesnt necessarily mean the book is worth reading.