Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music diconary

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by me, Jul 30, 2000.

1. me

me

Apr 29, 2000
    If any one knows of a Music diconary that isnt to hard to get inform me. I get lost when you people start talking about vibertos and vocing and even some of the more simple things. I teach myself amost everything and an instructor is outside my current budget, so unless one of you guys gives free lessons in the detroit area on this stuff, i pretty much screwed.

2. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    DUDE!! you better run and hide QUICK, before KungFuqua gets his meathooks into your spelling. *a moment of silence for the user (me)*

------------------
    Sadness

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Hi, Me (you). Check out this excellent book. It is long and narrow and fits easily in a gig bag.

"Every Musician's Handbook" AMSCO Publications, 1984, 63 pages, $4.95

Not only does it have an extensive glossary, it also contains information on rudiments such as scales, keys, intervals, chords, time and notation. Also explains harmony, counterpoint, and orchestration. I doubt you'll be needing counterpoint and orchestration for awhile, but the rest of the book is a concise exploration of the basic concepts you will need.

Other books by the same publisher in the long and narrow format you might find helpful are "Beginning Bass Guitar", "Beginning Bass Scales" and "Chord Bassics". Jason Oldsted

[This message has been edited by JasonOldsted (edited July 30, 2000).]

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  5. me

me

Apr 29, 2000
    my spelling errors are fully known to me. However i dont give a rats @ss. Thanks to the people who help the needy. I have allways relied on the kindness of strangers.

6. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by me:
    &lt;snip&gt;...i dont give a rats @ss...&lt;snip&gt;<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Neither do I...

7. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Hi there,
    As moderator of this forum, I would appreciate a little courtesy to myself and the other members here. If you can't take the time to spell correctly, you will find out very quickly that the others here won't take the time to answer your questions. Perhaps you don't need a music dictionary, but an English dictionary!

Chris A. [​IMG]

8. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    Istanbul
    Haha, hey Chris that was good man [​IMG]

------------------
    The Only Mask I Wear is the One I was Born With..

9. BassoOstinato

BassoOstinato

Jul 31, 2000
    I don't want to be disrespectful to the moderator, but I wondered when I read the original post if the writer is a native English speaker. I understand the expectation that we who post here would use correct grammar, spelling and punctuation and be as serious about that as we would the intonation of our basses, but I also accept the fact that some who come here looking for advice and help are very young or many may be speaking English as a second language.

Just because they can't spell does not mean that they won't be great bass players. I reviewed one of my instructional videos the other day and James Jamerson Jr. made several egregious grammatical errors. I speak English better than he does, but he plays bass a heck of a lot better than I do.

That's just my opinion about this matter, but I am a softy about someone, anyone asking a question. It takes courage to ask a question, especially when one's spelling or language skills amy be inadequate and this person is trying to better himself. I give him every credit for that. OSTINATO

10. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    BassOstinato-
    I checked "me"'s profile before I posted to make sure that they were in the US where I assume that their first language is English. Second, after reading the second post from "me" I would expect that this person knows about their spelling problems but the other comment leads me to believe that they need to know the ground rules in my forum.

Chris A. [​IMG]

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    From the halls of Montezuuuuuma,
    To the shores of Tripoliiiiiiiii ...

Sung to the tune of "The Marine Corps Hymn."

oop

[This message has been edited by Munjibunga (edited July 31, 2000).]

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Typically, the "English-as-a-second-language-folks" speak/write the stuff gooder then we Americans.

13. me

me

Apr 29, 2000
    To much weight has been placed on my inability to spell. I thank you all for wasting your time for me. The moderator is doing his job I will double check my posts spelling from now on so as not to offend your sight, and to prevent inane chatter (like this post). The quote is originally from "Street Car Named Desire". Oh and misspelling got this much attention and an answer.

[This message has been edited by me (edited August 01, 2000).]

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sorry - we'll have to remember not to answer any questions you put in future, to make up for it [​IMG]

15. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I know I'm late to the party here, but well done, Chris.

Bruce, lol! [​IMG]

-GM

16. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Perhaps we can thwart the heathens by renaming the forum to WriteBass or RightBass - where only the truly righteous are welcome to Write about bass playing.
    [​IMG]

'Me' - I will try to help you with bass stuff regardless of your propensity to fool around with words. You don't want opinions of people who have no sense of humor anyway. Lots of these guys are OK, and know a great deal about all things bass, but sometimes they come off as a little grumpy. I'm sure they will lighten up in a day or two. If you play bass and respect others here, you are welcome at TalkBass.

jc

[This message has been edited by Rockinjc (edited August 01, 2000).]

17. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Just because we expect people to be able to type and spell correctly we are considered grumpy? I have been called lots of things in my professional and personal life, but grumpy? I have no problem answering people's questions, and have done so even when they haven't used proper English, but sometimes it's hard to get one's point across without having to factor in deciphering poor grammar. If you are just being lazy, which after careful consideration I believed the poster in question was, I said something. I said it in reaction to a post that had an expletive( granted not one of the worst ones, but one none the less) and I am labeled as grumpy. Well, it's a good thing that I do actually have a sense of humor, because I actually got quite a few laughs at the reactions I got from "me" and from all of you. And I didn't p!ss too many people off doing it. Well I think my work here is done.

Chris A. [​IMG]

18. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Just here to say I still back you up on this, Chris.

Words mean things.

-GM

19. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Trie bill ding up a beeg tab bee4 u start rest ina barr. dat wae eue halfta pae furs. att lease thay wil wake eue be4 eue hitt the sydewaq.

jc

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Owe mai Godd! Dis ees GEANIOUS! Y dint eye fink ov dis b4??? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Will See. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW