Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Dojo.com

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by misterk73, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Anyone have any experience with or knowledge of MusicDojo.com? Regardless, what do you think of the concept (in theory and/or practice)?

http://www.musicdojo.com

I'm considering signing up for a lesson or two since my school and work schedule isn't really conducivew to private lessons at the moment...

Thanks!

2. It is fairly new, the classes now will be the first. Mr. Nitti has been planning and working on it for a while, though.

Mr. Nitti is a highly skilled bassist and teacher. The non-interactive lessons he has made available on his normal website are excellent. He has a lot of teaching experience (check the bio page on http://www.adamnitti.com/open.shtml for details). He is also a gentleman, which is rare these days. I suspect his online school will work well for the dedicated but time-challenged... :bassist:

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah Adam sent out an email a while ago to everyone saying, "here is what I have been up to"... Great educator, person and amazing bassist!!!

There are some great teachers on the site as well. So far he has David Dyson, JPM (!!!), Steve Cunningham and a few others, including himself. I think it is a great concept and it will be very sucessful.

For the price, you really can't bet it, 20 lessons, 4 weeks, 30 minutes a day!

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I've enjoyed Nitti's workshops in Bass Player Magazine. So I checked out MusicDojo, not having heard of it before reading it here, and I was impressed with the concept. The price seems very reasonable.

For someone who doesn't have the patience to go to a local bass teacher, this certainly seems like a viable alternative. I hope the site is sucessful. (Maybe they'll want to advertise on TalkBass.com.):)

5. I am now on my 12th lesson of the Bass Reading Class, Lvl 1. I am extremely please with the course, teacher and the staff at musicdojo.com . I have already covered a ton of material at the half-way point. Each of my lessons has covered about the same amount of material you would probably get during a half-hour session with a local teacher. I get 5 of these lessons a week so you do need to pay attention and don't fall behind or you will find yourself waiting for the weekend to roll around for a two-day cram session ;) I am not sure how the other courses are run, and I am sure that because it is a reading class, it's slightly more intense than some of the other classes.

Each of my classes is accompanied by audio of all exercises and etudes played by the teacher (Joseph Patrick Moore):cool: . The exercises are well thought out and are easy enough to get through in about a half-hour. The etudes are much more challenging and sometimes myself and the other students in my class find ourselves doing our best until the weekend rolls around and we can really dig into the material without worrying about new material. Joseph has been very good at responding to our questions. You can post messages on the days lessons and have reponses given by the others in the class. You also have a chat room open to you and your classmates 24 hours a day. Although I have only run into 1 other student so far which has been a bit of a dissapointment to me. The class is small though, only about 5 others as far as I can tell from message posts. You can also only communicate with students in your class. There are no chatrooms or message boards which connect all the different classes

The staff behind the scenes are outstanding also. On a few occasions there has been a broken link and I usually email the staff when I come across such. In no more than an hour the links are up and running with a thank you email from the staff!

Bottom line, I don't think you can find a better value anywhere! The lessons are full of multimedia clips, audio and video (the video is used more heavily on some course such as slap and technique courses) and they are very informative, and easy to follow. I would suggest you have a high speed connection as each reading lesson has probably had about 5-8mbs worth of mp3's. It only costs $50 for 20 lessons over 4 weeks. You can save the web pages, like I do, for further review once the lessons are over. If you are like me and don't want to spend a lot of money for private instruction but you need the structure of a professional music course, you won't be dissapointed.

http://www.musicdojo.com

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Sounds like a tremendous bargain to me.

7. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Sounds great! I'll have to give it a whirl during my holiday break from grad school come December. SMASH, if you go ahead with this, please post your thoughts!

8. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    BluesMan845

That is great that you have enrolled and tried it. Thank you for sharing that with us, I have been curious about for the last few weeks, but too busy to research it.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I signed up too... I am looking forward trying this out.

10. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Cool!!

Keep us informed on which course and how it is going...

11. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I went to the site but did not see any class that was for someone like me, just starting out. Did i miss it or is there a pure beginner class there?

12. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I don't think they had any classes for the complete beginner, although you might want to cointact them and ask about that.

Are you new to music or just new to bass? I'm guessing a "level 1" theory course would be a good starting point...

13. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    There's also "Mastering Right and Left-hand Technique," described as being "applicable to all levels of players"...

From the course catalog:

"A course dedicated to cleaning up bad habits and improving speed and dexterity for both the plucking and fretting hands ... Focuses on such topics as proper hand positions, improved muting techniques, economy of motion, and improved coordination. Recommended for any player looking to improve their technical ability and consistency."

14. I would contact the staff. They are extremely helpful in guiding you to the right course. The mastering right and left hand technique is probably a great beginner class.

Glad to see so many of you are going to sign up :) Maybe I'll run into some of you at a class in the future. My screen name is jgowrie for the classes. :D

15. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I sent them e-mail and got a response within a couple of hours, they advised me that they don’t offer a pure beginners class and that I would profit by taking some lessons to get the basics and then try some of their courses. They did mention that I could try some of the courses that lushfreak and BluesMan suggested but it all depends on how much experience I have and how well I can digest the material. I browsed the site and it looks like a good concept and the price is right. Since I’m truly a beginner (getting my bass in a week or two) I will probably take some lessons and then try some of the classes. I think it’s a nice to have the option to take a class using the Internet and be able to have the flexibility to learn the material at your own pace. Even though I don’t think I’m ready for one of their classes I’m looking forward to getting to the point were I can, they were very courteous and answered my questions in a prompt manner. To you guys taking classes I would like to hear how your liked the class. Thanks!

16. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    so its 50 bucks per course?

17. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    From what i read it's $50 per class.

18. ClarkW

ClarkW

Aug 1, 2003
    Provo, UT. USA
    It might be arguing semantics, but it's $50 for the whole course, which includes 20 classes of approximately 30 minutes each (5 a week for 4 weeks).

19. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    Yes, that's is more accurate wording.

20. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Shame on me.... I signed up for a musicdojo.com class, and I forgot to check talkbass.com first for reviews/comments. I'm taking the right/left hand technique class starting in early Nov. I'll be sure to post comments when i'm half way through, and then again when I am finished. I hope it goes well, I want to take the groove class next. Since I've had an extended break from bass, so I figured the technique class would help get my back up to speed.

Besides, musicdojo is in Baltimore. I figured I could just go knock on their door if I am unhappy with the course. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.