1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

music for bass, violin and piano

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Rob Thompson, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

Hi, I'm looking for music for the odd combination of piano, bass and violin. I suppose if it's written for cello instead of bass would be fine too, I could make that work. I'd prefer something that featured the piano not just as accompaniment.

The only idea I've had so far is subbing bass for cello in any number of piano trios. Anybody done this with success?

Ideas? Arrangements?

2. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Cecilia McDowall - "Not Just a Place" Ludwin Music
    Patrick Neher - Suite "Pou Sto" www.isgpublications.com
    Serge Lance - Double Concerto - Billaudot (piano reduction of orch. )
    Thomas Oboe Lee - Hylidae: The Tree Frogs - Schirmer

There's always the Bottesini Grand Duo, too.

3. Rob Thompson

Thanks Neil, good ideas, maybe a little on the modern virtuosic side, but stuff I never even considered.

Know of a sample recording of "Tree frogs" available online?

4. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    Yes. American Music Center
    Click on "compositions" at the top and then scroll down to find the recording.

5. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    Find a workable piano trio. That would feature all the instruments... maybe not always on their own, but as a musical unit at the least.

6. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Any baroque violin sonata, with you and the pianist doing the continuo part.

7. Rob Thompson

Yes, this is what I was thinking, to give sort of an even musical share to all the instruments. Got a suggestion? There's a lot of piano trios out there, I suppose I'd go for one that's not going to take months to prep.

8. Rob Thompson

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021