1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Genre definitions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lady Kayri, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Thought it might be interesting to discuss / define the various genres of music, as I'm confused sometimes by what types of music fall under various genres. What makes 'thrash metal' different from 'metal,' what makes 'prog rock' not 'hair rock,' and is "hair rock' similar to 'hair metal'? When does a blues song segue into R&B, or into blues rock? Which bands are good examples of each genre (with the acknowledgement that quite a few bands cover two or more genres, perhaps even cite specific songs? Yeah, I know that many of the genres bleed over into each other at the edges, too.

I'm hoping this won't degenerate into arguments about which genre is better than others - such arguments are, as far as I'm concerned, pointless. I just want to get a better feel for the various genres and sub-genres of music, so when the next person says something like "I'm in a heavy metal band, but would prefer to be in a thrash metal band," I won't be the one saying, "Isn't metal music all the same?" :confused:

2. While I get annoyed with constant arguments about what genre a certain band ("They're not prog rock, they are post-sludge psychedelic fusion!!! ") is, genres are a good guide to help people find what music they like. As long as you're in the ballpark, I won't get too upset about how a band is labelled. It's too difficult for me to label genres in an unbiased fashion, as I would most likely put a negative spin on the music genres I don't care for. Probably not a lot of help, but you may as well start from here and keep going:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_genre