Music Genres, Which Ones Do You Like?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jazzin', Oct 22, 2005.

1. Rock

38 vote(s)
  2. Classick Rock

30 vote(s)
  3. Alternative Rock

30 vote(s)
  4. Hark Rock

29 vote(s)
  5. Metal

26 vote(s)
  6. Punk Rock

17 vote(s)
  7. Blues

25 vote(s)
  8. R&B

18 vote(s)
  9. Pop

8 vote(s)
  10. Jazz

36 vote(s)
  11. Latin

11 vote(s)
  12. Classical

21 vote(s)
  13. Hip-Hop

15 vote(s)
  14. Techno

10 vote(s)
  15. Dance

5 vote(s)
  16. Folk

7 vote(s)
  17. Country

8 vote(s)
  18. Reggae

14 vote(s)
  19. World

12 vote(s)
  20. Other

27 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

What are your favorite music genres, which ones do you like to play?
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I chose Jazz, Hip-Hop, R&B, Latin, and Blues. My favorite genres to play would be R&B followed by Jazz.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't really like to define my listening into genres, since I would never discriminate between musics. I use them for organizing in iTunes, and that's about it. So, From iTunes I like 6664 songs of these genres:

Electronic(one of my biggest)
    Game(as in Video Game)
    Guitar(as in flamenco and michael hedges and stuff
    Hip Hop/Rap(one of my biggest)
    New Age
    Primus(yes, they have their own genre, no I didn't make it)
    R&B/Soul(one of my biggest)
    Solo Bass(Manring, Wooten, some others)
    World(Mostly African music here)

I'm pretty inclusive with my genres, I don't really like subgenres, so in all those you'll likely find lots of bands that could be considered something else and whatever.

Genres that I play:
    My own projects consist of whatever I feel like making.
    I recently joined a band that has a pretty fresh alternative/pop type sound, difficult to place exactly.
    I've played just about every type of music I listed above though.

Oh... this is a poll suddenly? well, it wasn't when I posted, I guess I'll vote now.
  4. You for got Fusion, Experimental and Ska.

But I chose rock, hard rock, alt. rock, metal, jazz, classical, hip hop, and reggae.

I only really like older hip hop, like, Pre-1994 stuff.

I like reggae, but not the dancehall crap they call reggae nowadays. I like the deep bassline slow "makin love" reggae. :D

In 8th grade I played electric in the band and I grew a love of classical as we played some for shows during that year.

As for the type of music I want to play. It would be a mixture of Experimental, Fusion, Hard Rock, 50's era Jazz (sorry for my ignorance if im wrong, but the jazz that only contains a bassist, drummer and pianist)and Big Band Jazz.

No luck so far with a drummer and guitarist who want to play this. :crying:
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    50s era jazz was, by and large, lame. What you're likely thinking of is what came right after the 50s, the so called 'cool' jazz sound, miles davis is lauded as the creator, as a sort of response to the bebop scene which was largely a bunch of wankers wanking off all the time. Basically though, the 3 piece, bass, drums piano is the classic jazz rhythm section. Guitar is kind of a modern addition, that classic jazz trio though, ya, that's like... jazz in a nutshell. Solid rhythm section with some featured soloist or not, it's all good.

In the past few years I've become increasingly jaded by jazz in general. But I can always get behind the cool ****.
  6. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I'd have to select them all, and that rather defeats the point of this poll =/
  7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

I listen to wathever I feel like listening to. If I want to listen to Amerie of R Kelly tomorrow, then I'll listen to those artists.

Pretty simple me thinks.

8. Thanks for the insight, I wasnt positive at all with my post, but now I know what to look for/listen to.
  9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    What's hark rock btw? In Dutch it means "Rake rock" :D :D
  10. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Metal, blues-metal, prog-rock and jazz-fusion
  11. Hark! The herald angels sing
    Glory to the newborn king

Maybe it's christian rock :rolleyes:
  12. Jazzin'

Ooops, "Hard Rock"
  13. Jazzin'

Looks like Jazz and Rock are the most popular, while "pop" is the least "pop"ular, I didn't suspect jazz to get that many votes.
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  15. froggsoldier

Apr 29, 2005
    forgive me for not knowing but what is DnB??? :help:
  16. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway

another meaning for DnB is "Den Norske Bank" who means The Norwegian Bank :p :p :p
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    In music snob terms, DnB, which stands for Drum and Bass, is the watered down, easily palpable, mainstream version of Jungle. Jungle, is chaotic music that originally came from clubs and old jazz records. Essentially, all of it is at 170-190 BPM, and has drum parts that are all 16th notes and hitting whacky anticipations and much chaos ensues. It's easily one of my favorite genres of music. That's how I break it down, Personally While both DnB and Jungle are 'club' musics, I consider DnB to be slightly more in tune with dancing and typical club scene than jungle, which is a little more abrasive and not necessarily fit to dance to(but fun nonetheless)

There are some other sounds that developed from the jungle/breakbeat scene. Including so called Breakcore, Glitchcore, IDM, Chaos Breaks and many more. Some of this stuff is truly a challenge to listen to, and it's either love it or hate it. I personally love it, but some people can't stand it. It's an interesting world, the underground abstract electronic music scene.

Here's a little sample of some breakcore I made, not really a song, just experimenting with some beat ideas:
  18. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I love fusion (from Tribal Tech to Soulive to Steely Dan), world (Cirque du Soleil and similar), new age (Yanni), trip hop, some techno, newer R&B, some 90's pop rock, a good chunk of 80's hair metal, and funk. I used to think I liked jazz. But to me it's just a mathematical exercise.
  19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Please elucidate...