Music gifts (no NBD, sorry)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Dec 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Instruments were neither in the budget nor even really on the wish list this year - but instead, I found these under the tree... I think Mrs. Hrodbert may be trying to tell me something...
    [​IMG]

What else did people get other than NBDs?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Awesome books there :). Would love to hear your thoughts on the writing better lyrics one, I could absolutely use some help there.

My Mrs. surprised me by paying off half my most recent bass purchase, which was very unexpected.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  3. ChefKen

ChefKen

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    Nothing musical for me....We gave my 12 year old daughter a karaoke machine.....we hooked up my Pitchfork and Looper to it and my kids made amazing songs all night.....My daughter does the Beat Box thing and then did 5 part harmonies with herself all night. My wife and I were shocked at how good she sounded. Then she started looping in her Ukes and my sons acoustic guitar. I opened a serious can of worms!!

4. I have four QSC K-12 powered speakers that I use for mains and monitors. My lovely bride bought me the factory tote bags for all of them so they don't get beat up going in and out of the gig van. That was the extent of my music gear acquisitions this Christmas.

My thirty year old nephew returned to playing music this past year. (He is a drummer.) The family all chipped in to upgrade his gear so that he can start gigging again. Seeing the look on his face yesterday was priceless.

DirtDog, TonyP-, GregC and 1 other person like this.
  5. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Damascus, MD
    The author of the Writing Better Lyrics book has a free songwriting class on Coursera.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  6. hrodbert696

That's great! I'll report on the lyrics book as soon as I can dig into it. So far I've tackled a bit of the guitar exercises and read one chapter of the melody book. The guitar exercises quickly humbled me. I've always said I'm more of a bassist than guitarist, but still secretly thought on my head that I'm a pretty OK guitarist. The book says beginner exercises start on page 1, intermediate on page 18, advanced on 36. I figure I'll fly through the early stuff till I come up against something challenging. So I play exercise #1... no problem. Exercise #2.... oh man. This is going to be a long-term project. It was a simple string-skipping exercise on the pentatonic scale and I was dropping notes ALL OVER the place no matter how slow I did it. I also discovered that I don't really have the discipline of alternate picking with any consistency.

The melody book is interesting. Already in the first chapter, it didn't exactly tell me anything I'd never heard before, but it clarified things I had never really thought about consciously, like the difference between conjunct and disjunct melodic motion (does a note lead to an adjacent note on the scale or does it "skip?"). It changes things to think consciously about stuff like that.

That's awesome!

I should check that out. Thanks!

7. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    "Writing better lyrics"... :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

The future mrs got me DR PURE BLUES. my third pack in two months. I just put on a fresh set last week, too...

kalanb, Slorra440 and hrodbert696 like this.
  8. hrodbert696

That reminds me, I'm due to change strings...

EDIT: and, yeah... she's had "opinions" about some of the lyrics I've shared with her in the past...

9. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Try them. Here's a link to a thread with an audio clip featuring a brand new set. Piano tone - didn't think it was possible until now.

DR Pure Blues!!!

S-Bigbottom and hrodbert696 like this.
  10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm easy...every year it's albums/cds, DVDs/BDs & books-

BDs-
    Jaco docu
    Zappa Live At The Roxy
    Hendrix Live At The Atlanta Pop Festival
    Rush R40 Live

CDs-
    Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen- Dancing On The Tables…re-visiting an old Guitar Player mag's album reviews lead me to this one. Outstanding.

2-CD set of Alphonso Johnson's 3 early solo albums.

Mingus Dynasty- Live At The Village Vanguard...Richard Davis on bass.

Herbie Hancock- Blow Up soundtrack...includes a Yardbirds track (with Beck and Page).

2 albums by Abercrombie/Holland/Dejohnette on ECM-
    Gateway
    Homecoming

Weather Report- The Legendary Live Tapes: 1978-1981

…and I have next week off.

11. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Damascus, MD
    hrodbert696 likes this.
  12. I received EADG4. This is going to help me focus while I'm learning. 20151226_125057.jpg

My daughter got a music stand. She started playing tuba this year and has been asked to join the intermediate band this semester. She is also going to start playing the clarinet. Yes, I'm a proud daddy.

13. Slorra440

Slorra440

Nov 20, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Children bought me a nice comfort strapp, they know how much my previous strap causes ache in my shoulder.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I got cashews.

I gave away an instrument and a multifx though. Tis better to give than recieve so I did good by that logic.

15. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    No music related gifts for me this year, although my fiance felt bad she couldn't afford to buy me the new Hartke LH500 head for $219 that I saw.

I bought her a new set of strings for her acoustic guitar, string winter and picks. She's learning to play guitar and I am supporting her wholeheartedly.

16. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Well what do you know. Seems I spoke too soon. An old lady my fiance knows gave her several boxes of books. Going through them she found this. Score! It's brand new. The CD is still in it and unopened. It's funny because I've been saying I need to learn some new songs. (Sorry about the large pic side. It's the smallest size my phone will take).
    20151226_184001.jpg

She also found this book for drummers,.also new and with the CD's. I'm regifting it to a friend of mine.

20151226_182843.jpg

hrodbert696 and Slorra440 like this.
  17. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Any music related gifts were ones that I bought for myself. Namely:

Levy's M4 leather strap
    Fender Jazz bass tort pickguard
    Rotosound RS66 set
    D'Addario XL165 set
    Music Theory of the Bass Player by Ariane Cap
    Jaco documentary blu-ray
    Rush R40 Live blu-ray

18. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Recieved a pic :smug: of an order 'placed for me'... two JBL PRX710 (10") powered speakers for my (small) PA set-up!
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    hrodbert696 and vmabus like this.
  19. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Nice... here I am (was) - about 40 years ago! I'm sure your daughter is MUCH prettier! :laugh::);)
    image.jpeg

20. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I got a stern warning from my wife................. no more music gear.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021