Music in Schools

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Bassmaniac, Aug 3, 2004.

1. When I went to high school in the 60's, doing music class was mandatory and I didn't do very well - mainly because the only options of styles available were Classical music, classical music, and if you don't like that, then there's always classical music.
    I flunked miserably, because I couldn't stand classical music, it puts me to sleep. Still does.

Anyway, time has gone by and I now have two sons in high school ( Private Church/Parent run ). My boys are both gifted musicians and have been having outside private tuition since they were about six years old ( Lead guitar / drums ).

The problem I'm now having ( with the eldest one - guitarist ) is that this school has the same agenda as the one I went to back in the dark ages ( Classical, Classical or classical? ) and doesn't recognise the guitar as a proper instrument so to speak. They also flunk his exam results because he's used to using and prefers using modern words ( example: quarter note ) to describe a musical value - rather than using the archaic terms that have no mathematical relation to the note. They also seem to actively discourage playing modern music.

I would like to put him in a different school, that's if I can find one that recognises modern music and the people who want to play it; but here in Australia there are rules and regulations that say a student must attend the nearest school to where he lives except in "exceptional" circumstances.

Have any of you veterans had this problem? ..any advice?
    I'm interested in hearing your experiences. :meh:
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Public schools? Get yer kid in the jazz band there or something... assuming the public school has a jazz band.
  3. d00d, send them to my school. I've been forced to endure a whole manner of musical tastes and styles - we learn both traditional and modern harmony, and I'm in all kinds of school bands from the concert and jazz band to the school's rock outfit and a neighbouring school's musical. I have the best drummer in Adelaide as a music teacher, and we (and by we I mean the school) offers a really wide and varied programme.

In answer to your question, though, it might be worth looking at either talking to the teachers and discussing the curriculum they run (there could be a minute chance of them changing it), or you could look into other school's curriculum and see if it suits your sons' needs. You can always appeal against the board of education about the rules about zoning.

Personally, I'd go for my school, but only 'cos I'm looking for new guys to jam with.

And new boys to perve on. :eek: just kidding... not! :ninja: lol
  4. Private school. I don't know of any public Christian schools (used the term "Christian school" lightly, us non-believers call them that :D) in Adelaide... maybe in Sydney, but not here.
  5. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    You youngsters and your rock and roll!

You sure nearest school apply to privet schools? And you sure if your kids are music oriented this is not "special circumstances" ...I would think it should:/

Could never understand schools with out music programs... which is every school i went to:/

PS... you sure you want your kids be around such characters as Steph? I'd be afraid of that! :bag:
  6. I chat to you for the best part of five minutes and you've already assumed I'm a bad influence. :rollno: :D
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Short question...what do they say instead of quarter note? :eyebrow:

Talk to the teachers about the curriculum. Also, why is it that it has to be a christian school? The only difference class-wise that I've noticed between religious schools and non-religious public schools here in Canada is that religious schools offer religious studies classes...which I think would be very cool to take, but it seems even the option of learning about religion is a heinous act amongst the more ravenous of my fellow atheists.
  8. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    No! of course not... yes...

Be afraid bassmaniac! You let your boys near to Steph and next thing you know... your sons play evil bass :ninja: be very afraid! (peter griffin voice on) TAN TAN TAN, taa taaan (/voice)

9. They call a quarter note a crotchet - but my son reckons the term better describes his teacher than a musical note - as he tends to be quite crotchetty :eyebrow:

Seriously though, I think the real reason that the school has such a limited scope with their music program, is that it's a small school with limited resources. Others have tried and have failed to have things changed. Also, some Christian schools do have a narrow view of secular music and don't encourage it.
    Possibly part of the reasoning for using classical/orchestral type programs, is that with orchestral music there's a lot more bits and pieces parts and instruments to play, which gives all the students with meager talent something that they can do and let's face it, there are probably a lot more students who would simply like to be able to play something musical as opposed to the amount of students who seriously intend on making a career in the music industry.

Update: My wife just returned with my son from an interview with the principle of a large nearby public school that has a lot of scope to their music program. It looks promising that we may be able to get him in there. They apparently have about three rock bands going at the school and will be in for a treat if he gets in there as he plays like Joe Satriani. :hyper:

Sorry Stephdawe04, you'll miss out on your perv, we are in Sydney.
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    A crotchet? *** is a crotchet?

I took music in school, learned to play the trombone. We played a wide array of stuff, ranging from the Budweiser theme song (When you say Bud!),,, to Mozart's Marriage of Figaro! We weren't just any average school band, we were the reigning Texas State Honor Band for our division. ie, best band in the state for your division,, 1a, 2a, etc...

We ALWAYS called it a quarter note.

I feel a rant against church schools coming on,,, so I should end this post. This should serve as a notice to YOU, the parent, that this sort of brainwashing,,,errr... limiting,,, is not necessarily the best thing you can do for your kids. Also, I AM a Christian. I'll just say that I have 2 step kids in Christian schools & thier processes aren't so much built around enriching thier lives,,, as it is,,,getting them to follow THIER rules,,w/o question... ie,, miliantly obey them.
  11. My school has band, of course. And they do have Jazz band. Ad, we have bass choir, which is learning guitar and keyboard, but nothing for electric bass. Some of the city schools near me have classes like "music appreciation" but my school is too small/cheap to have an actual class devoted to music.
  12. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Public school is the way to go. I went to a small Catholic school from K-8th and there was one mandatory music class. It was quite stupid. I had the highest grade in the class with my knowledge of how to read music (I had played piano).

When I got to a public high school I got into a choir, string orchestra, and jazz band. Everyone else had been in ensembles since middle school. I had no idea at the time how to work in this environment. I would have loved to go to a public middle school program with a few more music classes.

Oh, the high school was a performing arts magnet. I got in on piano, then was placed in a chior, then someone heard me tinkering on a bass and I was bassist for everything since then. whoo
  13. crotch rocket??huh?!?!?! uh nevermind,..... The schools I always went to focused on like stuff like Marching Band and Concert Band, not really alot of classical.
  14. :bawl:

15. I feel your pain.
    I'm a Christian too and would be delighted if my kids discovered for themselves what it really means; but I'm learning that alliance to your faith isn't the same thing as alliance to a school system that isn't performing in our individual circumstances.
    I feel now that I've got to do what's best to supplement my boys future vocation.
  16. Ducksual

May 19, 2003
    "A crotchet? *** is a crotchet?"

you know, it's that note which is half as long as a minim, twice as long as a quaver, a quarter as long as a semibreve and four times as long as a semi quaver... :p
  17. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    :eek: Ummmm... OK!
  18. Ducksual

May 19, 2003
    Well there's also a breve which is 2 'whole notes' though I've never seen it used.

I mean, what kind of terms are these sixty-fourth notes anyway, they're not nearly as cool as hemidemisemiquavers.

It's how I learned note lengths, it's not really that difficult. I think the whole relative lengths system is an american thing.
  19. I guess what I was really looking for in the thread was some " been there, done that" stories that turned out well.

Any takers?
  20. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Where do these terms for notes come from? I've been playing music in some form or another for over 44 years and I've never heard a quarter note refered to as anything but a quarter note. I've played classical, pop, rock, jazz, country, blue grass, alternative and about any other kind of music you can think of. :meh:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!