Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Lessons

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by jack knife, Mar 24, 2003.

1. jack knife

jack knife

May 30, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hi Watt,
    I was wondering if you ever had any formal music lessons or had someone to show you how to play. Was your skill a product of sheer determination? I have been playing bass for about two years now, and have been trying to learn on my own. I basically use tablature and listen to CDs to try and learn. I would like to take music lessons but I barely have time to play as it is. I am currently not part of a band or have ever been in a band for that matter. I find my biggest problem is trying to come up with my own bass lines. I can learn other artist's music well enough depending on the difficulty, but I can't get my ideas out of my head and onto my bass. I'll come up with a cool little riff and there's where it stops. I can't take it and extend it into anything of any length. What would you recommend to a person who is trying to learn on his own to help he/she develop their skills at writing their own stuff?

Thanks Watt.

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

I was lucky to grow up w/d. boon and learn along w/him. this cat named roy mendez-lopez helped us out a lot, passing on knowledge he had. I think it's a combination of both things you mentioned. one thing that will definitely help is listening to a lot of james jamerson and playing right along w/him!

on bass, watt

3. Go out and buy a bunch of CCR. Play along with it as much as possible. This goes for learning to play guitar, drums, etc. too.

4. The Stooges and the Ramones are also good for that :)

5. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hey,

I think playing along w/records is good practice, helps build your ability to find a groove (especially w/simpler songs w/out a lot of chord changes). turn the bass part of the eq on the stereo you're hearing the album on and "become" the bass player (sort of). try adjust your bass amp so you don't overpower the music, mix it right in like you were one of the band. this is good practice stuff.

on bass, watt