1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Licenses at Venues ???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. rickbass

    rickbass Supporting Member

    Doo any of you guys/girls know --- are ASCAP, BMI, SESAC , the only licenses that a place has to have so that they can offer live music ???

    I know in many cities they have to have munincipal cabaret/dance hall licenses too, so they can offer DJ/live/jukebox music.

    But do you all assume when you line-up a gig that the place has those 3 I mentioned or do you check ???

    Also, are there more licenses they really should have ?

    One of my bands got burned on this issue last week when it was like the Gestapo came in.

  2. I've always "assumed" the venue had all they necessary licenses to conduct and protect their business. Yeah, I know what can happen when you "assume" anything. What happened when the Gestapo came in? How did it affect the band?
  3. More info please. Did the gestapo shake the band down or the club? Or both? I would imagine it's the venue's responsibility.
  4. rickbass

    rickbass Supporting Member

    From what I've seen, they like to prey on new clubs.

    I guess when you know "LOSER" is going to be engraved on your tombstone, you don't want anyone else to have a real life.

    Too bad they get lumped in the police who are really doing some good things.