Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Live 2002

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by DaveBeny, Nov 8, 2002.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Hi Steve and Michael,

Me and my brother will be visiting the Music Live show at the NEC tomorrow (Saturday). I've checked their website (www.musiclive.co.uk), and it lists an 11.30am performance from Michael for Bass Guitar Magazine.

Whereabouts will the two of you be during the day? Will be there be any other performances/demonstrations from either of you?

Regards,
    David

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    David I'll break forum etiquette and jump in, just in case Steve and Michael Manring are too busy to answer before tomorrow.

I PM'ed Steve last week and he replied that he would be playing with Michael Manring (NB I dont use the familiar as I havent met him yet-nearly did last night but I had a train to catch). I thought that Steve would be on the Ashdown stand but he hasnt confirmed it. MM might be on the SWR stand (might be an idea to ask personell on both stands) but after last night...;)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, hope his amp doesn't cut out again, like last night - could be very embarassing - still there should be plenty of people around to fix it!! ;)

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Just a quick report:

Really enjoyed Michael and Steve's performance. As well as playing in the main performance room, they also played two sets on the Bass Guitar Magazine stand. Outstanding music (nevermind bass playing)! It was a real treat to meet them both. I've got quite a few photos, and will get them online ASAP.

5. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    typical... that was the only stand I couldnt find.... :rolleyes:

oh well - there's always next year..

DC :)

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    David I saw both those sets-outstanding

7. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    HI guys,

we had a great time at the show - It's a shame we couldn't stick around for longer, but I had to be at a gig in Portsmouth by just after 5, so we had quite a drive ahead of us.

David, it was good to meet you at last - and your brother.

Chris, good to see you and Martin again - hope to see you both again soon.

All in all, a fun time was had by us, and hopefully the second set on the BGM stand didn't scare too many people... ;)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

8. Hey guys, saw you play on Saturday. A very impressive performance (worrying and bizarre, but strangely compelling!).

Steve: Love all that crazy percussive stuff and backwards bits, but where the hell did you get enough cash for 2 Echoplex Digital Pros?! Me want!

Michael: Please try not to use your top string as a longbow, man- you give me nightmares about losing eyes and stuff ;) Damn' fine playing....

Incidentally, you made the "Guitarists of the Year" look a bit amateur... I mean, they had frets and stuff... :)

Hope I can see you play a proper extended gig sometime! Also, have you guys recorded a CD together yet or not?

9. purplelinny

purplelinny

May 27, 2001

10. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Linny - I saw the review - I'll link to it from my site ASAP - thanks very much. Cool photos too! :)

Lovely to meet you and Bud - hope to see you both again soon,

take care

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

11. purplelinny

purplelinny

May 27, 2001
    Likewise Steve - 'twas very cool to meet your goodselves too (you and MM, of course).

Glad you liked the review, and thanks for linking - wasn't expecting that! Well chuffed :)

Hopefully my quote will come out right this time - now that I'm past the TB virgin stage ;)

All the best,
    PLL'C

12. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks so much for the nice comments, everyone. And thanks so much for the nice review, Linny (my sweetie was thrilled/embarrassed to be mentioned)! It was a fun, and yes at times, bizarre experience!