Music Live - more for the UK TB'ers.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Not Mark Westlake, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Hello all,
    Music Live's on at Birmingham's NEC this weekend, so I was just wondering how many TBers are scooting on up there? It's my first year, so I don't really know what to expect, but hopefully it'll be interesting if nothing else...

2. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    birmingham is too far away :(

3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Nickthebassist and I should be there on saturday. Its fun, but most of the time i just end up wishing i could go to NAMM :(
  4. As said, me and joe will be there. I'm gonna spend my time trying out more spectors than i can afford, and also trying out lots of nice ashdowns. Yum.
  5. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I wouldn't get your hopes up Nick. I've been to two Music Live shows now (last one I visited was 2002 when Michael Manring and Steve Lawson played at the Bass Guitar Magazine stand). There was very little of interest to serious bassplayers.

As I recall, the Ashdown stand had no amps to try - they were just selling off loads of their Electric Blue combos and other small items like strings. I did get to try a big Ashdown rig at the Elixir strings stand through (I have a photo somewhere). Most of the big brands (Fender, Warwick etc) don't have instruments available to try - although I remember that Peavey had quite a few of their cheaper instruments available to play through headphones. I don't remember seeing any Spector basses. There were stands for GB guitars (with a guy doing Mark King-style slap demos) and NS Bolin basses, but, on the whole, there were very few examples of quality bass equipment to be found.

It's definitely an event geared towards guitars and music technology.
  6. Soundcontrol are there, so there'll be plenty of spectors.
  7. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Give us a report when you get home guys. I only live a 5-10 min drive from the NEC, so if there is anything particularly interesting, I may go for a mooch for an hour or so tomorrow.
  8. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

If you want to play a bongo then go (Alot better looking in-the-flesh!)

The GB basses stand was excellent, and we got to see some NIFTY EBS pedals in demo and the HD / Fafner heads.

If you only go to visit the SIMS custom stand, its probably worth it.

Bassurgey is worth a look.

Other than there there was almost nothing for us low enders.
  9. Those Basssurgery basses. :oops: Nicest Bass Ever™ award. The green six-string was awesome.

Some guy was doing a really, really good solo bass session on the BassTech stand. Did a weirdly amazing version of Message In A Bottle by Sting. It was one of the highlights of the show.

Missed out on getting the Nathan East: The Business of Bass DVD with my two-year sub to Bass Guitar, which was gutting.

Got a set of Elixirs for £20 though, which was nice. They just cut the price for me, randomly.

Saw Mr. Steve Lawson about too, and nearly made a tool of myself in front of Rob Balducci.

The Bongo wasn't that impressive. Ultra high action, and I dunno... the tone was beautiful, but it was really tricky to slap 'cos of that beefy neck pickup. Still managed it, but hey.

Guitarist Al won the Fast Finger Fury comp at the Elixir stand too :p

I thought it was pretty good. The Seminars were interesting (Guthrie Govan = highlight), and the Richie Kotzen live show ruled. Really, really good stuff. Buy his damn album!

Which was the SIMS custom stand? I can't remember now...

10. Fosse Bass Guitars rule! They were there. ALso, SOundcontrol had NO spectors. Disgrace. I loved the bongo i played, and it was a snazzy orange.