Music Majors in College

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Are there any music majors in the house? I'm considering transferring to TU in the fall to pursue a Bachelors in Music (instrumental) and was wondering how you all like it? I'm at current a Computer Science major and its getting tiring.

Thanks guys!
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i am. Prepare to practice your arse off. I was a performance major my freshmen year but switched to recording major. Its very fun, but if you do performance be prepared to either play in a symphony after u gradate or work at mcdonalds. You will be really good if you keep up with the workload, which is alot. Most schools i looked at dont really have a jazz bass program, but maybe that school does. I played jazz bass but to do that i had to play upright so weigh your options.
  3. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Ive been looking at majoring in music at school.

What are some other music majors aside form performance, that would be worth looking into?
  4. At my university, there's basically performance and education. Like has already been said, in performance you practice like crazy and hope to end up in a symphony.

In education, you basically get a solid background in theory and training on more than one instrument, You're generally prepared for a career as a private teacher, or as a music teacher in schools if you go on to get a B. Ed.
  5. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I've heard the practice requirements weed out quite a few students. Then many of the grads go into retail or food service jobs.
  6. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    <-- future berklee alumni. I'm taking lessons from a Berklee grad, and he suggested that i go, so i've given it some thought and i hated my previous major so i'm headed out there. so far i'm going for a Performance, and Composition double major
  7. wow, thanks for the replies guys. i told my mom what i wanted to to and she laughed at me :cry: ! i understand that its almost a useless degree, but that degree would probably let me get a job at a music store or something. maybe session player?

this particular college has 8 particular majors in the music field, from basic music to teaching music, vocals, and the like. its a fairly well respected school too. University of Tulsa.
  9. I'm in a similar situation, though i'm transitioning from the working world (last day of work Jan 31st) and heading back to school to work on getting a degree in music. I'm going to a community college first, so my situation is a bit different, but I've yet to find a college in my state (Washington) that allows electric bass as a performance instrument, all the college's in my price range are double bass. The only hope I have is to attend Evergreen state college(, really liberal, non-traditional college, low cost) and work on a customized degree, or head to LA and try to get into MI/BIT after I get my AAS from the community college. I'm going to attempt a dual major if I stay in my state and go for music and mathematics, that way I would be doing two things I really like, but one would be a bit more practical. I've noticed that minoring in music isn't a problem at most four years schools though, since most of the performance related requirements are for the major's, and that might be a route you would consider, that way you get a decent load of theory and get some skills, but you'll still have a meat and potatoes degree for finding a job. Good luck dude. I think the degree in music honestly doesn't mean much, I know lots of local bassits where I live who work in mills, stores, etc. for a living and can play the frets off their basses, but it's the playing time, experience, and performance skills you get from a 4 year degree that helps.
  10. It would definitely help your status as a hired gun while you're advertising yourself if you're looking for professional gigs. It might be a little extra for work at a music store too.

Certainly doesn't guarantee you work in either field though, like some degrees will.