Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Makes You Smarter

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Correlli, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    http://www.music-research.org/

The organization in the above link believes music makes you smarter, esp. in children.

Some of the effects of learning a musical instrument include:
    - integrates mind, body and spirit.
    - Provides opportunities for self-expression.
    - develops independence.
    - cross-culture communication.
    - merges the learning process.
    - improves academic achievement.
    - exercises and develops higher order thinking skills, stimulates complex cognitive, emotional, and sensorimotor processes in the brain.
    - facilitates the recovery of movement and speech in neurological patients.

Do you agree with the statement "music makes you smarter"?

2. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
  3. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    A Book on the Subject. That's not a personal endorsement, I haven't read it. I'm intrigued by the idea though.

I'm looking for some proof of the findings. I'll get back with you when I dig some up.

4. Plus, music from a certain standpoint, is the marriage of math / science & art.

Math / Science: Fractions, pattern recognition, string physics, waves, electronics, acoustics, even computer science, yep - it all in there.

Art: Dynamics, color, balance, compostion, harmony, dischord, rhythm, study, improvisation, yep - you betcha!

5. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    I agree wholeheartedly. If any of you have been exposed to much computer music you know the math and computer science is all up ins, as it were.

6. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Of course, if a person was 'challenged' then they wouldn't be able to stick with music long enough to prove anything.

7. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    music theory could be classified as Applied Maths because thats essentially what it is.

i think musics ability to improve intelligence is probably more in the writing of songs rather than just learning an instrument.

8. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Told you I'd be back when I found some proof. :hyper:

Not neccesarily, I found this in an article about the Mozart Effect.

Here's the whole article for those interested.

If that's true then, guitar, bass, or any other string instrument might have a similar effect because the notes are laid out spatially, similar to a piano. Unlike a trumpet or clarinet where you the notes are achieved through different finger configurations.

Interesting stuff.

9. paintballjunkie

paintballjunkie

Jul 27, 2005
    Indiana
    Some music makes you dumber...
    i.e. emo, punk, hardcore

10. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    thats not music. thats called garbage.

Kroy
    the reason why song writing has more of the desired effect than just learning an instrument is because you are using both sides of the brain all at once and to a greater extent.
    both sides of the brain are used and good comminication between the hemispheres is required:
    -having a feeling of what sounds nice (right hemisphere)
    -translating theory into practice (ie left hemisphere)
    -working out what notes to play on the fretboard(ie left and right hemispehere)
    -putting feeling into the music and such like (right hemisphere).

11. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    If music makes one so smart how come so many musicians OD?

Just curious

12. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    because intelligence ≠ common sense or wisdom. the most sensible and wise people whom i have ever met are never intellectual giants. and visa versa. there are just sooooooo many brilliant people who have the common sense and wisdom of a gnat.

13. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I learnt about the mozart effect a little while ago. I have two CD's - Mozart for the Mind and Mozart for Mediatation.

I read a comment a while ago that said Mozart's music was the closest thing to "Divine Inspiration", as you can possible get. Worth noting that Mozart died in poverty.

14. Kroy

Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    Yeah, according to the article it's not clear whether the Mozart Effect is actually a real phenomenon or not. I, personally, haven't really delved into the subject enough to have an educated opinion on the matter. To my mind, whatever gets more people listening to more Mozart and less Michael Bolton is a God-send.

15. Here, here!

16. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH

manager probably told them they wanted them to play a hanson song on their next cd..

17. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH

well if you believe that then tell my why after playing for almost 25 years I'm still a moron? :eyebrow:

18. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    It shoor duz, just luke at britney spears!! :smug:

19. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I think it is more or less what you are doing and how you apply what you learn that makes you smarter.. Like for instance.... If I were trying to solo over some chord changes. I would constantly be thinking ABOUT what I am doing and using my motor skills to achieve what is going on at the same time.

Doing some complex time signatures offers alot in terms of thinkin differently.

Punk rock.... I could learn a few things.. Learn to organize them.. And repeat to make an album. Like I said.. It is all how you apply things.

20. :scowl:

1. (source:dictionary.com)

Now, I can't stand rap. I really can't stand rap. But just just because I don't like it doesn't give me the right to say it isn't music, and makes the people listen to it stupid, now does it?

Back on topic, at an early age, no doubt. but later in life, yes I'd say it can sharpen a few dull edges, but I think it wouldn't be too amazing in terms of an intelligence jump.