1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Man Bass . Pre Ernie Ball or Not .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gozan, Oct 17, 2001.

1. gozan

gozan

Sep 17, 2000
    I have a choice of a Pre Ernie Ball MUSICMAN Bass in excellent condition , or a brand new one from a store 2001 ERNIE BALL MUSICMAN BASS STINGRAY w/ 3 eq. Both are the same price . The new I can choose on rosewood or maple neck . Ash body.

2. Play them! If the Pre is that good of a price you could probably buy it and then sell it for a higher price elsewhere. If not, then just play the heck out of both of the basses, and pick the one that suits you best. I recently bought a new one and can't say anything bad about it.

jtbp

3. gozan

gozan

Sep 17, 2000
    The pre Ernie Ball Bass is $1000.00 . Pick guard was removed and is lost.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Although many disagree, I prefer the Ernie Ball 'Rays to the pre-EB ones. Better electronics, better truss-rod adjustment, just basically better basses overall, IMO.

5. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I'm with boogiebass on this. I've owned both pre-Ernie and Ernie, and I much preferred the Ernie. Also, from trying various basses out, I find the EB basses are much more consistent in quality. Of the 50 or so Stingrays I've tried in my life, only 2 were bad and both were all pre-Ernie models.

With regards to which bass to buy, buy the one you like the most. If that's the pre-Ernie, then great, buy it. However, unless you want to keep it as a collectors item, don't buy the pre-Ernie just because of what it is.

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have played them both and owned them both!
    Right now I own a Pre (79) Ernie that I love, sold the ErnieBall to get it. I love the 79 but I miss the 3 band EQ and the trussrod adj is the best in the business, I will have another EB some day.
    I like both;)