1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kjizzel, May 12, 2011.

1. kjizzel

kjizzel

Jan 13, 2011
    What do you think of Music Man Basses? I maybe in the market for one?

2. MKoby

MKoby

Jul 14, 2004
    MD/Metro DC
    They are well loved.
    Hard to go wrong with one.
    Play some and decide for yourself.

There are many threads on MM basses on this forum.
    Many tubes with MM basses/ & reviews.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Depends on the model. I love the Sterling's and Bongo's, not so big on Stingray's. I haven't tried the Reflex or Big Al at all.

4. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I would look for the Ed Friedland Youtube reviews to give you an idea of the basses. Off the top of my head I believe he has reviews for the following: Bongo 6 HS, Sterling 5 HH, 25th Anniversary HH (what now is the Reflex), Big Al SSS, Big Al 5 SSS, and Classic Stingray 4 & 5. That should at at least give you a good idea.

5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i tried one at guitar center that and it seemed like the neck was dipped in a 50 gallon drum of gloss, it felt too weird for me, but it sounded sweet

6. Brandon D.

Brandon D.

Oct 8, 2007
    Houston Tx
    Solid basses but you definitely need to try them out before you buy one. I had a stingray it was a good bass but just not my cup of tea so I ended up selling it.

7. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    It was probably a Classic Stingray. All the of the other current MM basses have a natural finish to the necks with the exception of the Bongo necks with a satin painted finish.

8. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I feel right at home with a 2 band Stingray. it fits any kind of music for me and seems to offer a fresh break from the P and J tone while still maintaining a Fenderish vibe.

I always felt it's the only bass which can match a P-Bass in terms of filling the bottom end of the mix but it has loads of snap and articulation on hand which I missed when my Precisions were my go to basses.

9. Music Man Basses? Hmm... I've never heard of them. Did they just spring up overnight? Be careful with these fly by night companies.
    (Joking, of course)

10. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Much can be said about them, a lot which has already been said in this thread. They are great instruments, but they DO vary model to model, year to year. You'll have to get one that fits you and your tastes.

Don't ever let anyone tell you a MM is a one trick pony, either.

11. jacklebass

jacklebass

May 12, 2011
    MM basses are like Fender basses simple design, reasonable price and KILLER tone...i would recommend.

12. Try out as many basses as you can, everyone has their own tastes, but for me it's musicman's all the way :)

13. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    They are extraordinarily well-made, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one online, without trying it.
    I WOULD try a few different models, just to see which one you like best.
    I have a Stingray 5, which I bought used in 1994, and I used it almost exclusively for 10 years, live and on several albums. They are fabulous instruments, but passive Fenders have their place, too. (IMO)

14. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    +1 Great bass even, but I agree, they are not the cup of tea for many players.

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Great basses. I've owned four and each one was absolutely stellar in playability and tone. They aren't for everyone, but they are very high quality basses.

If you're on the fence and would just like to try one out, buy a used Ray34 and give that a go for a while. They are amazing intro level basses, and they do a really nice job at capturing the MM vibe for cheap.

16. SaucyJackBass

SaucyJackBass Supporting Member

May 6, 2009
    I love my S.U.B. It has been my primary practice bass for 7 or 8 years. I rarely makes it out to the stage, but here is how it sounds on stage with flats.

YouTube - ZiggyStardust.MOV
    (use headphones)

17. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I have 4 right now and want more. My favorite so far is the Bongo's. Great basses but in all honesty, no matter what Music Man bass you get, I don't think you can go wrong with one.

18. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    I've wanted to love Stingrays... but they just aren't for me. The build quality was really good. I've had better luck with Sterlings (the REAL Sterlings made in USA).

19. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    They are extremely well built , a little pricey new i think around 1400-2000 , but you can get them used for around 1000-1600

20. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    And I love the SR's.
    Currently own an 83 2-band and a 96 3-band.
    The 1 5/8" neck and tone are just right for me.
    Super QC although weight can very greatly.
    An active Pbass with a very mid forward punch.
    I own a pile of older P and J's but can't put the SR's down.

jmatt had a good idea with a Serling 34 or look for a used SR between 750 - 850