Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man basses @ GC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I went into the Marietta (Atlanta suburb) store today, and they have a sunburst SR5 for $920, a silver SR5 for $850, an Axis guitar for $840, and a Sterling for $780. They're trying to move the ones that didn't sell.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    They have a great lowend presence for fingerstyle, IMO.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    They're one of the pillars of bassdom, at least in my world. P, J, Ric, MM.

4. The ones at my local GC are all gone. I woulda wanted the silver one! Good match for my bright yellow one.

5. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Not really.But like you said it is in your opinion

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I haven't been in GC for a couple months, but I thought the last time I was there, Music Man basses were priced in the $1,200 - $1,500 range. Today I stopped at the Southfield, MI GC and they have Sterlings for $760 and Stingrays for $840 "for as long as they last." :bassist:

Is this isolated, or are prices dropping everywhere?

Peace,

James

7. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I think this was already discussed in a thread, bu it seems to be a nationwide thing. GC just sent me a "Last Chance to Save" card. [subtitle: "uhh... this week"] :

So... yea. Don't know why. Now if only I could get a DVD copy of 'The Music Man' for half off. Now with 30% more trombones.

8. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    At the GC here in Tucson, I saw a orange sparkle SR5 going for $789!

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Musicman a bad slap tone??? I think I've heard it all now. To each their own I guess

*leaves thread VERY confused*

10. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I find this thread very interesting.

MM basses I thought are bottom monsters. I think they're a great low end yet bright funky sounding bass. They are just about the only nonboutique new bass that I really like.

Those prices are great! That's just a little bit higher than most used MM basses. It looks like a no brainer if you like them.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Apparently those of us who think that they are great funk basses with great bottomend, know nothing of which we speak! :spit:

12. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I agree with Woodchuck. I have a 78' Stingray and a 97' fretless stingray 5. Both have huge bottom end IMO.

The tone is not for everyone though. As said before, "each to their own."

13. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Well.I still have my 79'MM Sabre(which IMO was the best bass MM ever made as well the REAL early 70's Stingrays)but I also own a SR5 that really left alot to be desired until I made some changes i.e.pup/preamp but nonetheless,IMO the EB MM basses are not that good.But as Dave says to each is own.:(

14. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Sabre? I just found one for sale yesterday by the original owner for a little over $500. I am thinking of going for it.

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Go for it. With the quickness.

Peace,

James

16. I had an affair of love once. It was with a stingray. But then I discovered the wonderous tone that is my Jazz Bass. So I traded it for an SVT-2 pro. Again, to each their own.

Pat

17. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    If its the 78'or79 pre EB model then by all means "GRAB-IT

18. Oh absolutely. To me a Stingray has the feel of a good P-bass and a tone that's in the Jazz bass neighborhood. I think of them as the Fender that came after the Jazz bass. G&L too. They're all Leo designs. They're all good.

I also agree with Woodchuck about the finger style low end deal.

Those prices are for store leftovers, right?

I paid 12 big ones for my 'Ray. It was only in the store for about a week, but, they gave me a bowl of soup with it.* :D

Mike

* Thank you Henny Youngman from the movie Caddyshack. ;)

** I caught my own mistake: It was Rodney Dangerfield, not Henny Youngman. :oops:

19. BottomLine

BottomLine

Nov 17, 2002
    Rochester MI
    I just picked up a MusicMan Sterling (Blue Dawn color & maple neck) for ONLY $850 (list $1800). The sales manager told me they were no longer going to stock them, and they were selling the stock they had left for just over cost. If you want one...better hurry!

IMHO the Sterling is an incredible bass

:D

20. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i really havent cared for any of the foderas i have played so yes i guess to each his own.