1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man Basses?

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Mar 30, 2015.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Over the past 2-3 years, we've been fortunate to establish a nice bit of business with G&L basses. We've got steady orders, happy customers, repeat customers, a solid reputation, etc. Things are rolling along nicely on that front, and success like that always leads me to wonder "what else could we be doing this with?!?" :)

Ernie Ball/Music Man basses seem like a logical extension of that, but that's just the way my mind sees it. There's the shared history of Leo Fender involvement after he sold Fender, there are some obvious model similarities, and they both operate at roughly the same price point. All that said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if G&L and Music Man are like Ford and Chevy: a Ford guy would never buy a Chevy, and vice-versa.

Has TB got any input to offer? I'm just putting out some feelers at this point to see whether Music Man is something I want to offer. And, honestly, the answer to the Ford/Chevy question almost doesn't matter. If G&L guys won't touch Music Man basses, that just means I'd have to go find the Music Man guys (which is not a bad thing). Or if they do in fact attract the same customers, then I'd be doing myself a favor just by having one more thing to offer my existing customers...

So, there's no wrong answer here, but I would appreciate anyone/everyone sharing their opinion here. Would Music Man be something you're interested in, and would I be a place you might look to purchase from if you wanted a MM bass?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    BlueMINI, blindrabbit and dedpool1052 like this.
  2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Yes and yes, Greg! MM does some killer limited editions that I'm unable to resist.

armybass, RocketMusic and dedpool1052 like this.
  3. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    yes please
    I promise I will get something from you at some point.

RocketMusic likes this.
  4. Low End Bottom

Low End Bottom

Aug 31, 2013
    Who's to say some of your current G&L clients won't want a MM added to their collection? You just saved them a trip to other stores, and you just diversified your portfolio. And if its a loyalty thing to G&L, their quality/service will be the merits people will purchase their products, not you.

If G&L helps you if you go broke, heck I'd be loyal too.

Btw, I'm a Fender guy, but have more Musicmans in my stable.. lol

RocketMusic likes this.
  5. Thank You Leo

Thank You Leo Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    CT
    Music Man is my favorite 'factory built' bass. (I currently own four). Their quality and craftsmanship is excellent - as good or better than some 'boutique' basses I've played. They also don't sound like everything else, though the Stingray tone probably ranks closely behind the P-Bass and Jazz when it comes to classic tones. They are also not afraid to try new designs like the Bongo and Big Al - two great basses that I think people sometimes don't try because they don't look like a Jazz Bass. The MM 5 strings are also very good, especially considering they are 34" scale. Not quite Roscoe territory, but very good nonetheless. My only issue with them as they (like G&L) can run heavy at times, so if you want a lighter one its a little more work to find.

blindrabbit and Goatrope like this.
  6. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Awesome! Thanks for all the input, guys. That makes my decision even easier. Time to follow up with Ernie Ball. :)

Haji, blindrabbit and AGH like this.
  7. Thank You Leo

Thank You Leo Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    CT
    And as far as your question about buying a MM from RM ... having done business with you before, that's just a no-brainer.

RocketMusic likes this.
  8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    More options are always good. I'm not a MM guy myself, but having that option for other guys would be great. I will say that if MM decide to make the Sabres available left-handed, I will definitely buy one from you Greg.

rufus.K and RocketMusic like this.
  9. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Sweet. I just sent off the "yes, let's do this" email to my contact at MM. :bassist:

Soon it'll be time to start spec'ing some basses.

blindrabbit likes this.
  10. Low End Bottom

Low End Bottom

Aug 31, 2013
    Mmmmm... Natural Stingray 5 classic with rosewood fretboard. One can only dream...

11. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    That's as good a first set of specs as I can imagine, I might as well order it. LOL

Low End Bottom likes this.
  12. Low End Bottom

Low End Bottom

Aug 31, 2013
    Grrrrr... Ive been searching for that spec to show up in Amazon for a long time. Waited for months and just broke down 2 days ago and just got myself a black + rosewood 5ver classic.

And yeah, I can only buy from Amazon since I'm in Asia. Tried getting it from other shops and got an email directly from ernieball saying dealers are not allowed to sell even if I asked them to ship it to my courier in New York.

Post pics of it when you do get it in kind sir... I guess I'll just use it as visual aid for the nasty.. lol

13. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Dealer Application submitted! Woohoo!

Music Man is saying it might take as much as 30 days to get that processed, and then I'll be able to place an opening order. Then a couple/few months after that, the first inventory will hit. So it's going to be a little while, but the wheels are officially in motion!

blindrabbit and Pacman like this.
  14. A Stingray has long been on top of my wishlist.
    If you can make it the same experience as buying a G&L, I'll definitely be interested!

RocketMusic likes this.
  15. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I don't see why I can't do that! I'll have to learn the in's & out's of working with them (lead times, unusual requests that are actually allowed, etc.), but that doesn't take a long time.

16. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Banned

Feb 11, 2007

Greg, please see if you can get a Bongo 6 with John Myung specs (5 string neck size). They have not offered that in the past but if they will do it for you there are a lot of guys on talkbass who want one and you will sell those as fast as you get them! And I want the first one if you can get them!!!
    :thumbsup:

RocketMusic likes this.
  17. If you can convince them to do a Sterling with a buckeye burl top, I may never have to buy another bass ever again... ;)

18. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Banned

Feb 11, 2007
    This video covers the John Myung Bongo specs

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  19. Stingrays aren't that hard to find, but Sterlings, Bongos and Big Als are a lot less common. I would think that those basses in classic configurations would be good sellers. You'll still sell a pile more Stingrays, but having a shop to get those basses from...build it and the world will beat a way to your mousetrap...or something like that. The Nashville GC got a Stealth Bongo 5 recently and the couple times I've been there its always in somebody's hands. That one needs a truss rod adjustment, though. Bottom line is that MM basses are great stuff, and not enough places carry them. Gives you some of the same exclusivity that the GnL does.

blindrabbit likes this.
  20. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Alright! References have been checked! i's have been dotted! t's have been crossed! We are officially a Music Man dealer.

Time to place an opening order! :bassist: