1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Man bridge pup + P Bass neck?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheMonkeyKing, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Hey,

I have an ATK805E, and I love the sound of it, its extremely versatile with pickup blend and the bridge pup's three-way switch.

I never really got into gear and tone chasing but I'm in a band now that plays original material along the lines of Kansas, Rush, Pink Floyd, etc so I'm somewhat of a newb when it comes to how to get "that sound" but I'd like to take things up a notch in my role as a bassist without chasing down vintage gear. I'd also like to just have the one bass that is versatile, like my ATK, but I want to explore some other options.

So my question is, since the ATK805E is active, but I'd like to find a bass with passive tone, is it possible to scratch build a bass that combines a Music Man style pickup with a P-bass? If I purchase these pickups separately, is there anything I need to consider when matching them up? If I go to Nordstrand's webpage, for example, can I just buy their P-bass pup and a Music Man "drop in" replacement and wire it up to a volume-volume-tone circuit? Ideally I would like to buy an older ATK with the triple coil pup, add a split coil neck pup, and convert it to a passive bass with minimal controls.

As a secondary question, I have only seen a handful of similar custom jobs in my searches online, so I have to wonder how come this type of instrument is not more popular. Are there any basses with a similar combination of pups? The Music Man Caprice bass looks close but its more of a P/J setup I think. Also, as far as pickup placement, it looks like the MM pup and the P would actually sit right next to each other, as the MM position is right in the middle of where the J and P would be on a P/J setup.

TLDR version: are there any basses with a MM clone pup plus a P neck position, and what do I need to consider in scratch building one of these?

BassBuzzRS likes this.