Music Man Dating

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pre EB, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Does anyone have information on how to date a Music Man? Not the Ernie Ball versions. I've heard that when EB took over Music Man, they still put out instruments with the old logo. Leftover parts and all. Any info would be nice.
  2. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    well...first you gotta be really sweet to it, and give it lots of flowers. i'm sure it cant be too hard to score a date with one. i suggest that you should give its fretboard a really nice rub down with lemon oil, they love that.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I prefer women... Whoops! My bad! :D

4. Curse you Prague77! That was going to be MY lame joke!!!! *sighs*

Have you tried carbon dating?
  5. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    I should've known I'd get a smart-alecky answer! I've made so much love to this bass that the finish is worn off of the fretboard where I've fingered, spanked, caressed, fought, made up, loved again, tickled, rubbed, yanked, and stroked. All without the benifit of Finger-ease lube. I've done it drunk, sober, high, and she still loves me. I just have no idea how old she is. I just know that she's not a minor- I've had it since '87.
  6. Comparing basses and women can get dangerous, consider:

You shove a metal wrench up/down their neck to try to change its shape
    You do a smiliar action on their backend.
    You put an electric wire into their hole
    You slap a bass.

Never, ever ever ever ever, do any of the previously mentioned to a woman, unless you have a bizarre craving for a black eye and a legal suit. (not one of the nice pinstriped ones either)
  7. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi Pre,
    The moderator in the Music Man page over at is an expert on preEB MM basses. His name is Mike Burduck. Check in with him over there and he might be able to give you the skinny.
  8. nivagues

Jan 18, 2002

Believe it can't be done by the serial number. Take the neck off. There should be a date stamped underneath the heel.

9. What he said.....
  10. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i thought you cut the neck off and count the rings.
  11. what he said...
  12. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Besides some of them having a serial number on the bridge,Take the neck off and there should be a stamp on the neck pocket of the body and there should be one on the heel of the neck!
  13. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    All advice, except the thing about cutting and counting the rings, is greatly appreciated.