Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man HD-150 Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bertbassplayer, May 4, 2003.

1. Anyone have any experiences with this amp? I've been told that it has two channels, one for "Normal" or Guitar and one for Bass. I know its supposed to be 150 Watts RMS Tube. I was thinking about getting one, since I'm a bassist and a guitarist.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you don't get any help here, check http://www.harmonycentral.com and look in user reviews. Amp reviews (both guitar and bass) are held in the guitar site.

I've always viewed them as a guitar amp, but for low to low-moderate volume 4 string playing (with efficient cabinets), it might work just fine.

3. The harmony central site, really didn't have much to say. Just one guy saying it sounded great with his sabre bass.

4. Bert, Back in 1978 I bought the Music Man HD-130 with a MM front loaded 18 reflex cabinet. That is one hell of a great sounding amp. The normal side is not as punchy as the bass side but for guitar I think it will be fine. You can switch the amp for either 4ohm or 8ohm cabinets. Two speaker outs. I dont gig with it anymore cause I needed more power. I use it for a home practice amp 18 with an Ampeg 2-10. As long as the one you are looking at has not been abused it should do just fine. Dont think I would pay more than $100 for it. If you get a chance to try it out get it good and hot and turn it up. See if it makes any unwanted noise. If it does you may need to replace the tubes. Good luck!!

5. cadre bassman

cadre bassman

May 15, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I ran across one of these at a used equipment music store for $450 in Denver. Any thoughts on their value and sound for a practice bass amp?

6. cadre bassman

cadre bassman

May 15, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Any one have more thoughts on the amp?

7. cadre bassman

cadre bassman

May 15, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Help...Any thoughts on their value and sound for a practice bass amp? Also, what cabinet should i use (one 15" speaker or two 10" speakers)?
    thanks

8. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I've been using an HD-150 for a couple of years now with a Berg NV-610, and I can tell you it's not just for low-moderate volume gigs.
    I play in a loud pop band with an Orange AD-30 half stack, a Marshall JMP 50 combo, and a drummer that's hard of hearing. The HD-150 keeps up without breaking a sweat. It reminds me of my old SVT, but with a little "Fender" roundness. It's easily as loud as alot of 500 watt solid state amps I've had, and it distorts gradually and nicely. The key is to run the master volume wide open, and use the gain control to regulate your output level. If you jack the pre too far, the solid state preamp will get a little gritty.
    Most gigs I have my master at 10, and my gain at 3-4, and it's LOUD!!!
    Corey

unbridled and 2behead like this.
  9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
  10. cadre bassman

cadre bassman

May 15, 2004
    Denver, CO
    what do you think about the Ampeg BA115 for a practice amp? would would be a good price for a used one?

thanks

11. Hi,
    I have just bought a Nice Music Man One Fifty amp.
    What cabinet do you think will be the best for the amp?

Arild

12. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Play guitar.
  13. Jens1

Jens1

Sep 6, 2013
    I recently bought this amp to pair it with my G&L l2000 1983. People clean is just awsome! Definition is great, has a very colourful sound and it's loud! If you search for good distortion growl for bass that's not the amp for you. You need some peadls to get there.

So if you need good vintage clean bass sound, do not hesitate buying MM amp.

BTW my amp is around 1978 and has SS preamp.

14. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    I can't speak on that exact amp, but I had a musicman RD-100 head that I used as my practice bass head for a long time, it was a hell of a solid head, only problem I ever had with it was a broken wire in the reverb tray... considering their was a time I used to go to rehearsal on public transit with that head in a hiking backpack... Sold it because I bought a small bass head and a better guitar amp (I liked it more for bass than I did for guitar) and it just wasn't getting used. Kinda wish I had just kept it...

15. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Not the 150, but the 130. Sounds good, but no idea how it differs:

16. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    I have a hd 130 and gigged with it twice a week for about 2 years. The tone is amazing. I love it. It is a dirty girl. Not much clean head room at all. Sounds like Lemmy or early Entwistle. My only complaint with it is that it's not a super punchy amp. My drummer loved it. He described it as "wet sounding". I paid $300 for mine in 100% working order but the grill cloth was toast. They normally sell for under $500. It records well IF you blend it with good DI box. I don't think I will ever sell it.

johnnyCreep likes this.
  17. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    If you had a time machine, you could start a hd club.
    :bag:

Actually, you should. The HD is an obscure, but cool amp. I joined a Buster 200 club a while back... there were only like 17* of them made, but a few of us own them.

*Not really... more like 50-100 maybe.