1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man HD 150 into a Traynor YC-610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by britainweyant, Jul 9, 2014.

1. britainweyant

britainweyant

Sep 10, 2012
    Maryland
    Hello all,

For a long time I was running an Ampeg SVT-II into an Ampeg 6x10 Cabinet. I liked it for my band at first, but after a while I felt like it wasn't actually fitting in. My friend suggested buying his Music Man HD 150, and the difference was unbelievable. My bass meshed better with my guitarists amps (JCM 800//Bassman) and I felt like I got the push and clarity that I had been looking for. I then thought I was set, until I tried the head through my friends Traynor YC 610. That night for our set, the set up sounded perfect. So I have been scouring the web trying to find the cabinet, and I found one that I'm picking up this week. However I have been reading this cab is 150 watts which is what I believe the HD 150 is, correct? Will this over power and blow the speakers in the cabinet?

2. radioface

radioface

May 2, 2013
    I owned an HD150 and to me, the head is under powered and you would be better served by a solid state unit.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Had exactly the opposite experience. I had an SVT-CL and 610HLF and picked up an HD130 (predecessor to the 150) and hated it. Way to bright and stiff with the solid state preamp. Ended up trading that head for a twin reverb. Different strokes and all.

Anywho, play it. If it sounds good don't worry. If the speakers start distorting or bottoming out then you know you've hit their maximum. I used to run my SVT with a single vintage 8x10 which had a rating of 240 watts, they worked fine at pretty high volume. I ended up swapping the speakers out for some modern replacements as I was playing in a louder band but as long as you keep an ear out for how things sound you should be okay.

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Were you using the guitar channel or the bass channel when it got too brite? Not picking a fight just curious. I have an HD 130 that I am running through a Bergantino NV 425 and using the guitar channel is definately brighter but also much more defined. The bass channel is deeper and less defined but far from muddy Combining the two gives some pretty good results for me and I do not like a brite sound more of a vintage vibe kind of thing for me.. I also had an Ampeg 610HLF that I found very dark And moved It is strange that with the HD 130 it would be overly bright. . To the OP if it is the non reverb HD 130 you can run a cable from the second input jack on the first channel to the first input jack on the bass channel for much more variation in tone because you get to use both channels Treb,Mid And Bass controls and vol controls to get different sounds.

5. britainweyant

britainweyant

Sep 10, 2012
    Maryland

Yes I have the non reverb HD150 and I keep the two channels bridged. I feel that that gives it the best definition. I'm not so much worried about the tone, because I really like the Traynor cab, I'm just concerned about the wattage.

6. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    If you crank the master and keep the channel gain low, I think you will be fine. I don't think these are under-powered at all. Mine is running through two Trace 1153T 1x15 cabs, and it gets loud enough to keep with two 120W tube guitar amps. You can always run it on lower power mode, which is easier on the tubes.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Bass channel, at the time I pretty much only used my 78 jazz so that may have contributed. Either way just not an amp I had any love for. But I got it cheap and flipped it easily so I wasn't unhappy.

8. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Cool Thanks for the reply