Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man HD 150

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RATZAX, Nov 7, 2002.

1. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    Hi, I am interested in a Music Man Hd150 or 130.Both of these amps come in a Bass version or a guitar version.The guitar versions have Reverb.Also the guitar versions seem to be more readily available.

My question is would the guitar versions work well as a Bass head.This question is similar to the question about the Ampeg V4.

The info on The Ampeg V4 thread was helpful as I am looking at those Heads also.Between the two heads which one would you get?

2. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Hi,

I have an HD150. I wasn't aware that you could get it in a bass version.

Mine has an Electro-voice speaker (at least that's what I was told when I bought it many years ago , although I can't see a manafacturers name on it) plus reverb and tremelo. I have used it at home for practice with my bass but IMO I don't think the speaker would stand up to the volume levels necessary when playing with a drummer. It is a very, very loud and clean guitar amp though.

Don't know much about Ampeg except they seem to be extremely expensive here in the UK. I've always been impressed with their bass gear when heard with live bands though.

http://pacair.com/mmamps/ is worth a look.

3. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    I would use this head with an Avatar 4x10 cab maybe adding an Avatar 1x15 later on.

4. infin8one

infin8one

Jan 7, 2008
    San Francisco
    I have the HD-150 head matched to the MusicMan 412B. keep in mind that an HD-150 is a Bass head that many use the second channel for keyboards and such. I have heard of guitar players using this head with the MusicMan 412GS and other guitar cabs. My advise would be to get the HD-150, no other numbers/letters should be in the model#

My 2 cents

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I bought a MM130HD a couple of weeks ago. It sounded fine for about a week and then developed issues. Right now its in the shop and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its not too bad.

6. pacAir

pacAir

Feb 25, 2008
    N/W Oregon
    The Musicman HD65 & HD130 heads were available in two slightly different variants.. the HD65/130 and HD65R/130R. These were manufactured from 1974-1980.

The HD65 & HD130 were designed and marketed as a bass/keyboard amplifiers (listed as "For Bass & Organ" in the price lists) and have no effects. They do, however, have a Bright switch and Mid tone control on Channel 1 that the "R" suffix versions do not have.

The HD65R and HD130R have foot-switchable Reverb and Tremelo and were marketed as the Guitar versions of the aforementioned Bass heads. They are lacking the Channel 1 tone controls listed above to make room for the Reverb & Tremelo controls on Channel 2. These models are in a taller cabinet to accomodate the Reverb pan in the bottom.

Other than that, the two model families are electrically identical.

In 1980 Music Man updated its amp line and the 65/130 series were replaced with the 75/150 series. The circuitry was updated and the Tremelo was replaced with a Phasor (Phase Shifter) circuit in the "R" models. Otherwise. the same basic model feature sets were kept from the older series.

You can see info and photos of these models in the catalogs found on my Music Man Amps website under the "Manuals" button on the home page (Java must be installed to use the site navigation buttons).

Music Man Amplifiers

:bassist:

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    i used to have an HD130R, i got it real cheap and used it for practice because it was louder than my bassman 70. i ended up trading the HD130 R to a guy for a twin reverb since i had 3 bass amps at the time and no guitar amp.

8. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hello,

I'm currently using an HD150 and am generally pretty happy with it. It is a great sounding clean amp at low to mid volume, the pre-amp overdrive is not so pleasing to my ear, but that's not what I'm using this amp for (definitely prefer other makes/models for dirty tones). FWIW this amp readily keeps up with two guitarists using Fender Blues Devilles (60 watt tube combos)

I use both pre-amp channels jumpered (run a patch cable from the unused input jack of channel 1 into either input of channel 2). You can get some pretty "modern" tones this way. Mine has a bright switch for both channels and a "deep" switch on channel 2. The deep switch is very effective with the 215 cab I've paired with this head.

If the money was equal and I had my choice between the HD-150 and an older V4, I'd choose the older V4, but the HD-150 is no slouch.

You can find a _lot_ more info on these amps here :

<edit> I was just about to post the very same link that pacair put in his post, I'll simply suggest that when you go to that site, skip straight to the forums and search for HD150 (or 130 as the case may be). There's lots of good stuff there.

SM

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Not sure I understand what this does?

P.S. Does anybody know the dimensions of the MM130HD? Mine is in the shop so I can't measure and had no luck w/ Google.

10. pacAir

pacAir

Feb 25, 2008
    N/W Oregon
    Go to the Music Man Amps website link quoted above and look in the 1974 catalog found under the "Manuals" button on the front page (Java required on your machine) or a Price list.

You should find the dimensions quoted in one or both of these places.

:help:

Tying the two channels together puts the channels in parallel and allows you to get tonality adjustment that is far beyond either channel by itself. You connect your instrument to Input 1 of either channel, and connect a jumper cord from this same channel's input #2 to the other channel's input #1.

This works to best effect when the signal paths of the two channels are different (as it is on the Music Man & Fender designs). Slight differences in arrival phase when the two channels are combined inside the amp will subtract or strengthen each other's signals at different frequencies and make controls seem to be extraordinarily effective. There is a whole topic on this technique in the Music Man web site forums (Message Board).

:hyper:

11. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    What is a jumper cable?

12. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    A very short instrument cable.

SM