1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man HD130 with pedals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Clyde Hoover, May 10, 2015.

1. Clyde Hoover

Clyde Hoover

May 10, 2015
    Hi all,

Just thought I would see whether any owners of Music Man HD (130 or 150) heads have noticed how great they seem to take pedals, and their experiences with just that? I only picked up the head a few weeks ago (it is an early 70's model) and then recently picked up an orange 1x15 to use it with. I have been enjoying the sound from the setup as is (really clean and SUPER dynamic amp) but last night I thought I would try all of my pedals through it, even the ones that have been delegated to 'guitar only' status.
    Now I am really digging this amp hey. The 'DEEP' switch adds so much low end back in to the signal it is amazing. I was jamming last night using stock 70's fuzz pedals (LOW SUCKERS) and it sounded great. So many pedals that would usually be so thin and clearly made for guitars are now totally useable with this current set up. The second that deep switch is flicked it is like I have doubled my pedal collection that I can use with bass guitar. If you haven't I suggest you totally try it out hey. I am talking pedals that sounded WEAK and tinny with my old setup now have bottom. Not CRAZY amounts of bottom mind you, but are totally useable in a live situation.
    Has anyone else noticed this with their HD130/HD150 heads?

2. Fuzzonaut

Fuzzonaut

Aug 27, 2013
    Switzerland
    Yes, same here, I've got a HD 130 as well and like to run a lot of dirt through it.
    It gets thunderous and sizzling and everything in between.
    I think they are a great pedal platform.

3. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    I use a HD150 with 410+115 cabs. This amp sounds really good. A lot of clean headroom. But I dont like the sound without the activated deep switch because it is much "thinner".

[​IMG]

I use only a chorus and a overdrive. Both effects sounds ok, not so much different...

4. Clyde Hoover

Clyde Hoover

May 10, 2015
    I actually don't mind the sound with the deep switch off, although I do have to crank the bass to 10 to make up for it! It is super clean hey, almost too clean at times. Have you ever used a Comp pedal with it in order to even out the dynamics a bit? I love that it is such a dynamic head, but sometimes I feel like a comp could help even out those straight-8th passages. I am a pretty even player, but it is still quite noticeable, especially with a Ricky.

But the way it takes those 70s fuzz pedals, I wouldn't change a thing. Chorus too! It digs the highs so the chorus is super shimmery.