Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J. from Samsara, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Hey all, this question may have been asked before, but I am going to ask being a little more specific. (and long

Here is the deal, I am a pretty hardcore Fender fan but I am looking into a MM for my next bass. I am currently using a 62RI P (alder) or a vintage 74 P (ash) both w/bartolini's for all studio and cover band work, with my original band I have been using Korean Squire J's with stock pickups and no volume pots.

I use the J's for two reasons, one I use overdrive 90% of the time and add a Boss Turbo Distortion on top of it when I need a little more and the Squire's have more crunch and squeal out faster/easier; two I tend to throw/beat the basses pretty hard and they are just cheaper to fix or replace. (I am getting away from latter)

I want to get away from the cheap J's because they aren't holding up at all and I don't like using the P's because I don't want to hurt them since they mean so much to me and they are to good for other purposes.

So with this information, I am interested in trying a MM. I don't know a whole lot about them and was wondering the advantages/disadvantages of them compared to P/J basses. I want to keep my live sound about the same and still be able to add the distortion and get about the same reaction out of the amp. Do they make an MM without actives and what are some wood options are out there? I am looking for used and not top quality but good playing quality. These aren't the only questions I have so please feel free to educate me.

One last thing, I use a either a B5R, SVT2PRO or SVT CL into a SVT810MTE version or a SVT410HE wo/ a horn.

Thanks for your input in advance-

J.

2. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    For a great, cheap Musicman, look into the SUB series. They have both active and passive versions.