1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Man HH or HS pick-up config for slap.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MarkM13, May 21, 2017.

1. MarkM13

MarkM13

Mar 29, 2015
    CT - USA
    Greetings,

My four string bass that I've been slapping on is a Sterling By Musicman SB14. I really like the bass and got it as NOS for a great deal a couple of years ago. I'm considering having a Nordstand MM4.2 put in the neck position to bring out more of the slap-n-pop. I do prefer single coils but, given this is the bass a reach for when slapping I'm wondering if I should go with the HH setup.

Thoughts?

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I don't recall whether the MusicMan HH configurations offer any coil-cutting or coil-tapping capability, but unless they do I would go with the HS pickups. To me the iconic slap sound requires a single coil in the neck position.

3. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    HS is always my preferred configuration...my SR5 HS vs my Stingray 5 HH

4. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Hmm...

As the Most Interesting Man might say, "I don't always slap, but when I do, I prefer..." Although I've never done a side-by-side comparing a HS with a HH, I really love the slap-tastic sound I get from my '79 MM Sabre. This has a HH layout that's absolutely lethal when it's time for the thumb to get funky.

I also have a passive Franken-Jazz with DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups - these are humbucking J's that really shine for slapping when both pickups are turned all the way up. I wouldn't say that they nail Marcus Miller's sound, but they sure get a tone that's over there in that neighborhood.

Anecdotal evidence, I know, but these examples of HH layouts that I find to be superlative slappers make me wonder whether it matters too much.