Music Man HH or HS pick-up config for slap.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MarkM13, May 21, 2017.

1. MarkM13

MarkM13

Mar 29, 2015
    CT - USA
    Greetings,

My four string bass that I've been slapping on is a Sterling By Musicman SB14. I really like the bass and got it as NOS for a great deal a couple of years ago. I'm considering having a Nordstand MM4.2 put in the neck position to bring out more of the slap-n-pop. I do prefer single coils but, given this is the bass a reach for when slapping I'm wondering if I should go with the HH setup.

Thoughts?

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I don't recall whether the MusicMan HH configurations offer any coil-cutting or coil-tapping capability, but unless they do I would go with the HS pickups. To me the iconic slap sound requires a single coil in the neck position.

3. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    HS is always my preferred configuration...my SR5 HS vs my Stingray 5 HH

4. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Hmm...

As the Most Interesting Man might say, "I don't always slap, but when I do, I prefer..." Although I've never done a side-by-side comparing a HS with a HH, I really love the slap-tastic sound I get from my '79 MM Sabre. This has a HH layout that's absolutely lethal when it's time for the thumb to get funky.

I also have a passive Franken-Jazz with DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups - these are humbucking J's that really shine for slapping when both pickups are turned all the way up. I wouldn't say that they nail Marcus Miller's sound, but they sure get a tone that's over there in that neighborhood.

Anecdotal evidence, I know, but these examples of HH layouts that I find to be superlative slappers make me wonder whether it matters too much.