1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Man humbucker with two volume pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gjbassist, Apr 3, 2013.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm thinking about putting a GFS MM style humbucker in the OLP bass I just got. I was thinking of wiring it with a separate volume for both coils. Wondering who else has done this and what you think of it?

2. Isn't one of the OLP Stingray copies wired that way?

3. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    Highly recommend upgrading the pickup. I put a GFS in mine and it was a dramatic improvement. You can use a volume control for each coil if want that isolating each coil sound. On mine I made a master volume and installed a DPDT switch in the other volume hole to select series/parralel/split coil modes. Also I would replace all the pots and wiring, they are pretty bad in those basses

4. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Yes, but this one has had a two band active EQ put in place of the stock wiring. I am more of a passive bass guy so I was thinking of putting it back to a passive V/V/T setup when I replace the pickup.

That is another idea I was considering. I was thinking of maybe two volumes with one of them having a push/pull pot for series/parallel.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    a lot of the OLPs came that way, one MM-style bucker wired like a jazz bass, parallel V/V/T.

it's pretty pointless, the difference between one coil and the the coil right next to it are minimal.

a volume, tone and series/parallel switch would make way more sense. (hell, every OLP player i've ever helped has been thrilled with my mod of just wiring the thing in series permanently and having one volume and one tone.)

6. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    You can did it that way too, then you'll have 4 choices series/parallel/north coil/south coil. you'll be able to blend both coils in parallel mode.