Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Music Man Maintenance Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by honeyboy, Apr 24, 2005.

1. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I have two questions about MM Basses. First, what kind of tool do you guys use to adjust that round trussrod adjuster on MM basses? Second, Do you use lemon oil to keep the oiled neck in shape or what? P.S. I'm thouroughly enjoying my new Sterling.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just use any allen wrench that fits in the holes, put it in and crank wheel sideways.

Dont use any oil on the neck, its fine how it is.

3. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    a small screw driver will work to. basically anything that will fit in the holes of the wheel with enough leverage to turn it. One of the greatest designs on earth is that blessed wheel! :D

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I use just long steel nail. If your neck's unfinished, you'll have to apply some gunstock oil from time to time (2/3 times a year) for avoiding humidity to penetrate the wood and blacken it.

ANDRUCA

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    you can use anything for the tross rod. i use my leatherman.

for neck cleaning. do not use lemon oil. use murphys oil soap diluted 1/3 with warm water. i usually use a green scrubby pad to clean the surface dirt and grim off it. the neck kind of turns a bit white(on maple).

then you would need gun stock oil. if you e-mail the guys over at Ernie Ball they can give you the exact type they use(i found it at a local sporting good store).
    they say to use to different things, i only use the gun stock oil and i find it to be awesome.

usually its stick the first day or so, but once you play it, it smoothes out nicely. the problem with the unfinished necks is that dirt gets into the grain, the only way to really clean it is useing a fine fine sandpaper, but i wouldnt suggest doing this.

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    From the MM website F.A.Q's.

To clean the neck, use a small dose of high-grade lemon oil. If the neck is very dirty, give us a call or email us at musicman_customerservice@ernieball.com.

Since the neck is unfinished, it is more susceptible to humidity changes. A very infrequent dose of gunstock oil will help to keep the neck maintained; we recommend and use Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil, but any good quality gunstock oil will work. Clean neck first. Use a small amount of Tru-oil, leave it on for 5 minutes, then wipe it off with a paper towel. Then apply Birchwood-Casey Tru-Wax. Be sure to douse the paper towel with water before disposing of it! Read the wax and oil manufacturer's instructions regarding disposal of these used paper towels.

Birchwood-Casey products are available at most sporting goods or gun stores. Their web address is http://www.birchwoodcasey.com.

Rosewood fingerboards should not be treated with gunstock oil; instead they should be treated with a high grade of lemon oil.

For cleaning, try using the same high grade of lemon oil to clean the entire neck, both maple and rosewood fretboards. Keep in mind that if the dirt or grease has been worked into the wood, it cannot be removed except by sanding it down, which we do not recommend unless exercised with extremely fine sandpaper (1200-1600 grit), and even then very sparingly. It is better to keep it clean in the first place. Washing your hands first helps!

Some discoloration after many hours of playing is normal on unfinished necks. Be sure to follow all of the manufacturers recommended safety precautions when using any of these oils or waxes.

8. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    Thanks for all the info!

9. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Couple questions about the Sterling neck.

My new band calls for all tuning to be 1/2 step down. It's been fine for awhile, but tonight, when retuning, my action is WAAAY low at the 1st fret, esp. on the G string. I tried cranking the trussrod and it will not budge. I don't want to force anything so TB, here I am.

1. Would playing all strings a 1/2 step down require any setup other than detuning?

2. If my trussrod won't budge, what do I do?

Much love.